Model Cars Magazine Forum

top dragster scratch build

comp1839

thanks brad. unfortunately, for me, there's none of that motor in my car. mine is a paltry 2/3rds of that monster.  had a great time at the show. brutally hot/ humid. i believe it hurt the car count alot.

anyway onto the dragster. here's a shot of the clutch arms, in place, inside the bell housing. another super job by chris (a.k.a. the 3d master). the red arrows point out the levers. working on the throw out brg. next.

DSCN8651w- arrows.jpg

many thanks, john!

had some time away from the 1:1 so i made the best use of my time that i could........model building!

got the throttlle linkage done.  thanks to rb motion and chris sobak for their absolutely CORRECT scale parts.

DSCN8655.JPG

DSCN8658.JPG

If you hadn't mentioned that it was the model, I could swear I was staring at something you were building for your 37'.     The clutch pic is new ground.  The effort you put into that one part, even though most of it is covered up, is jaw dropping and "crisp" is the only way I can describe the throttle linkage.  I'm thinking you need just a few more days away from the 37'................cheers!

Dave... I gotta agree with Tim here. This this looks like the real thing. And is gorgeous.  The detsil is insane on that.  Loving it my friend. Keep up the awesome work.  You need to spend a little more time on this ;) the '37 can wait... :lol::rolleyes:

aaron, not sure what you wanted?

john, thanks!! gotta say you're outta control on that funny brother!! LOVE IT!

tim, thank you kind sir.  your insight is always welcome , my friend.

chris, the candy store strikes again, brother!!!!  i gotta call you about some more caramel and sugar!!!

hi, evan. i'm proud to say there is not a single kit part in this build  it is almost entirely scratch built.  i am trying to restore the photos i lost to the photobucket debacle. if some part of the car is of special interest, let me know and i'll work on restoring those photos first.

chris sobak 3-d'd the seat, carburetor throttle arms, and the clutch arms.

rb motion does some of my bolts and all of the rod ends.

the center section of the rear and the lenco while marketed by tdr, are made off of my drawings.

literally, everything else is scratch built and machined by me. engine, bell housing, clutch, chassis, wheels, tires, brakes..........etc.

Edited by comp1839

thank you bob! i always consider it the ultimate compliment when i have to make some one look twice at something. thanks!

chris, happy???  i'm ecstatic! you're work has been nothing but exceptional my friend!!!  i know those accelerator  levers are THE bomb! i mean, have you looked at how well they fit?

• 4 weeks later...

so i had a few minutes this morning and i wanted to get something done on this car. i've been ignoring her way too long. so, i found a pair of headers i started like 7 years ago and they have sitting since. I KNOW they are absolutely not what you'd want to put on this car but, they're made, they're here and they look kinda cool. so here's the question guys........use 'em or lose 'em? any thoughts?

DSCN8725.JPG

https://images45.fotki.com/v1649/photos/9/3807219/14345232/photo34-vi.jpg

i also started the body pattern for the minimalist version of an R.E.D.

DSCN8727.JPG

DSCN8728.JPG

as soon as i get permission to say who, there is also a VERY cool new scoop waiting in the wings.

Edited by comp1839

Dave, not only should you use them, but if necessary, abuse them. I mean, face it, they're already twisted, just like the rest of this build will be.

Evil, Nasty, Wicked, Mean and Twisted. And I mean that in a good way. Muuaaaaahahahahaha !!!!!

(Insert shameless plug here: Did you notice I'm twisting a build to my evil purposes?)

Edited by Nytrozilla