Model Cars Magazine Forum

top dragster scratch build

comp1839

so, my real 1:1 '37 pro street build is getting a little long in the tooth and i really miss building my 1/8 scale cars. i decided to take a break and start a little build off to the side. this will be a top dragster build. the brass tube  chassis will be 275" w.b. car (that's 34 and 3/8" in 1/8 scale) hard tail. the unique part of this chassis will be how narrow the rear will be. i'll be shooting for 8"-10" between the rear tires. it will most likely have a half body on it.   the power plant will be a totally scratch built sonny leonard headed hemi BB chevy . dual dominators and possibly 2 kits.  i'll be scratch building a powerglide trans for this build. actually everything but the strange 9.5" top loader center will be scratch built including the rear wheels which will be weld delta and the fronts will be some weld carbon fiber experimental wheels i saw awhile back. i hope you enjoy. feel free to ask questions or post comments. 

initial drawing.

'1

i started the motor awhile ago but now it has a purpose.the block in progress.

001 (2).JPG

002 (4).JPG

belt drive.

001 (3).JPG

DSCN7109.JPG

Edited by comp1839

here are the valve covers and cylinder heads. all hand machined.

006 (4).JPG

carbon fiber intake.

006 (6).JPG

billet holley dominator carbs.

002 (2).JPG

made some accelerator pumps and linkage still need to make the pump arms. also made a billet plenum top.

DSCN7107.JPG

DSCN7100.JPG

Edited by comp1839

Apparently the universe is conspiring against my desire to keep my mind from being blown repeatedly by adding to the insanity around here.

This is going to be magnificent Dave. I can't wait for more already.

This is your fault Tim. I don't know how and I don't know why. But I know you're involved.;)

Welcome back Dave :D

Hello Dave,

Excellent show of skills here, the motor is very interesting to me.

Question please:  What material do you use for the heads and oil pan?  I suppose the block is styrene of some description.  Could you give some insight?

I'm real enthused about seeing a dragster being built, great stuff.

Michael

truck parts,  thanks.

scott, thanks.

shambles, i hope i don't disappoint.

tim, well, my friend, you're at fault for this. while i was digging around my files (for you! hehe) i started day dreaming about this build. couldn't resist starting it!!!!

kerry, thanks.

AZ boy, glad to be back. thanks.

michael, the material is renshape (440, i believe).

stephen, thanks. i'll post a pic or 2 for you.

58 impala, thanks, nope...cannot do this in 1/25. you'd need to see tim! :)

stephen, here are some pic of my '37.

mike (10 thumbs), glad you found some info. essentially, it is a machinable foam. it is also workable with simple hand tools.  not sure what you mean about not bothering to cast it. cast what?

mike garland, thanks. hope it is something you enjoy!

ray,  thanks. i see you're forging new paths yourself.

Well, with your milling/machining and planing skills it would be a cinch to form the object using Renshape as a mold for a material that would then be cast.  To cast the material as such wouldn't be very accurate as it's too porous.  The actual properties of Renshape is for me an unknown.  The material may not even melt cleanly.  This would lead to immense finishing difficulties.  I was interested in milling a part using Renshape, then casting the Renshape part as is.

You'll get there.  Casting is fun.

Dave... It is so great to see you back at the bench. I just love your work. I am going to be following this build for sure and am already stoked for your next update. I love what you have done so far. your machining just blows me away. I still need to purchase my Mill.... Really wish I had the extra money to get it now. Also I need to get you a call soon so we can catch up.