Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Raptor, Chase truck 2. 11-8, UNDER GLASS!

Here's my version of Revell's Raptor. I'm sure there are a few that know what a chase truck is, and for those who dont, it'll all make sense when my "Factory" team is done. This truck will require at least 2 kits and parts from a few others. Here's a pic that roughly resembles my direction for this.

20151003_153609_zps4vn5edpt.jpg

The rear spare tires will be hung lower and more off the back, tail gate will be removed. The upper spares will be mounted in the same location, in the bed more. Custom rear bumper will be fabricated out of styrene rod, same with the front bumper and light bars. I'm thinkin of fabricating a dash, still unsure right now. A basic cage will be added to the interior as well. Those who know off road racing in the early 90s, you can probably guess the paint scheme. Thanks for lookin, comments are always welcome.

Edited by Petetrucker07

Figured this would be a nice project to take on the road with me and work on in the hotel. 

I switched the kit rim and tires with the Rubicon pieces. Guess my plans for that have changed, but I'll get to that someday. I roughed out the rear section, removing the tailgate and some of the bed floor and molded frame. I can't work on the upper spares till I order some things from Fireball.

Thanks Gator and Brian. I'm hoping to get rest of the rear cut out and begin on the structure to support the tires. I'm gonna order the tires that will be for the Trophy Truck I'm building, so I can mount those in their location on this. I'm still undecided how much fabrication I want to do on this. Since the TT will be basically totally fabricated.

I got a little done tonite. I picked up some .08 styrene rod and started bendin. I got the it "spare tire" cut out. The new spares fit just how I wanted. Gettin the rear cage goin in the right direction. The "bars" going to front of the bed and through the top of cab will have the appearance of being connected to the interior cage. I'm gonna make a very simple interior cage, not gonna get to carried away with it. Hopefully my tires from Fireball will be at the house waiting for me when I get home tomorrow so next time at the bench I can get those figured out. Here are a few pics of the progress.

Small update for this build. Since my order of tires for my Trophy Truck project t have come in, I can start mounting those on this. I'm gonna build the support vehicles first, 2 chase trucks and a transporter. I've got the cradles started, where the TT tires are gonna sit. All the spares are gonna be strapped down. I need to figure out some sort of ratchet looking deal and some "strap". I'm gonna do a little more on the tire mounts and get the fuel cans mounted as well.