Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for a 1/24 Ford Maverick?

Saw a very nice looking 1/24 diecast '74 Maverick by Motor Max at Walmart this morning. Price was right too--$9.97. It was schoolbus yellow.

From what I could see of it, the shape and proportions looked pretty good, and even the detailing wasn't bad. It looked MUCH better than the Motor Max '67 Camaro ragtop right next to it, at any rate.

If I wanted a stockish or stock-bodied Maverick in 1/24, I'd start with one of these, disassemble it, repaint it, and "model-fy" it.

Cool.  Motormax did some interesting subjects.  When I looked last week, my local Wally only had the Maisto? VW bus.  Those are pretty nice even at $20

I think those are Metal Machines or something. I've seen two versions of the Bus - one weathered with a cyclops light, the other clean and might not have the light, not sure.

The first post said $10, and I see $23.95 on the kit box.  I do like seeing the diecast kit with the primed body so you can do your own thing with paint, without having to disassemble and  strip the sucker!   I love that it's a big bumper '74 and it has a six.  But American Grafitti???

Sure! It's a reminder of those nostalgic '50s/'60s movies of the '70s that you saw when you went to the drive-in in your Maverick! :lol:

(Like American Graffiti, American Hot Wax, Hometown USA, Crazy Mama, Macon County Line, Return to Macon County, W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings, Cooley High, The Wanderers, and, uh - oh yeah, Grease.)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

i've built the kit from the AG boxing. it's quite a nice kit. with a bit of detail painting you'd be hard pressed to notice it's toy-ish construction.grabber01_zps186ff18e.jpg

A 74 maverick in American Graffitti packaging?

Did they miss the whole "Where were you in 62?" premise of the whole movie? Not too bad, they only missed by a decade. :rolleyes::blink::wacko:

Did anyone else notice the box is labelled as "1974 Ford Mavenck" :huh:

Could that straigt six be used in other things aswell or is it too big or badly detailed?

Depends on how much scratchbuilding you want to do. It's a typical diecast insert - no real detail much lower than the head. No block/oil pan/transmission assembly, and only a suggestion of the manifolds. It's fairly well detailed for a diecast, but I would think about all you could use would be the head/valve cover and air cleaner.

Depends on how much scratchbuilding you want to do. It's a typical diecast insert - no real detail much lower than the head. No block/oil pan/transmission assembly, and only a suggestion of the manifolds. It's fairly well detailed for a diecast, but I would think about all you could use would be the head/valve cover and air cleaner.

The top is molded to the engine bay, the bottom is molded to the chassis. there's not much detail.

Thanks for the info :)

The one I saw at Walmart was tagged as a '74, as mentioned in my OP.

ahh, yes, but was it the rare maveNck, or was it a maverick?  I also like that it's labeled as a Grabber, but is CLEARLY a base model with out the grabber hood or V8 engine.  lol  But then again, it's a TOY for children to play with after they build it.  Nothing wrong with that, that's how I started building models.  

I am definitely going to look at the diecasts next time I'm at wally world.

ahh, yes, but was it the rare maveNck, or was it a maverick?  I also like that it's labeled as a Grabber, but is CLEARLY a base model with out the grabber hood or V8 engine.  lol  But then again, it's a TOY for children to play with after they build it.  Nothing wrong with that, that's how I started building models.  

I am definitely going to look at the diecasts next time I'm at wally world.

As I said in the OP (:rolleyes:), it was assembled, not a kit, and I didn't notice any misspelling. The one I saw was painted yellow.

ahh, yes, but was it the rare maveNck, or was it a maverick?  

The guy who did the box art is probably Chinese and doesn't even know the English alphabet.  But his revenge is all the dumb Americans who get tattoos of Chinese symbols that are supposed to mean "serenity" ,  "peace" and other nice thoughts when in reality they mean "bathroom" or "stupid"