Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's New '29 Ford Roadster

Dennis Lacy

Here's my first take on Revell's new kit. Back in one of the review threads it was brought up that the kit could easily be built a 3rd way by using the optional Model A frame (intended for the channeled version) as a hiboy so i decided to take that approach. Setting it up that was is relatively easy with some trimming of the wheel wells and spacers on the engine mounts to raise it up a bit. Everything else more or less falls into place. I wanted to use a lot of the kit but did make the following mods:

- Revell '49 Custom Mercury chrome reverse wheels.

- Revell M&H Racemaster slicks.

- Revell '32 Ford frame front cross member and frame horns.

- Revell '32 5-Window Moon auxiliary fuel tank.

- Revell '32 Fords radiator shell & grill, chopped 1/8" and lowered over frame 1/8"

- Bashed together Halibrand quick change rear axle.

- '50 Pontiac taillights.

- Pinstripe decals from assorted Revell hot rod kits.

- Testors one-coat Pure Gold.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

B)

Dennis....it came out really, really well.  I will abscond with several of your ideas on my future builds of this kit.  (And try to remember to give you credit as well).  I've enjoyed following your build of this model and it is great to see the final result now.   Cheers....TIM 

Really nice work on this. Love the parts choices and colors you used, and the stance and proportions are definitely a big improvement from OotB. The '32 grille shell is a big improvement too. If there was ever a textbook illustration as to why the '32 shell is SO popular on early Fords, this is it.

I didn't follow the entire build thread. Is that a partial wedge-channel on this too? (looks like you've dropped the rear of the body shell more than the front, relative to the frame rails). Or is it an optical illusion from the camera angle? 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Dennis....it came out really, really well.  I will abscond with several of your ideas on my future builds of this kit.  (And try to remember to give you credit as well).  I've enjoyed following your build of this model and it is great to see the final result now.   Cheers....TIM 

Considering you have been my biggest influence in scale hot rod building and after all the help I've been given from your magazine articles over the years, we'll call it even. :)

I didn't follow the entire build thread. Is that a partial wedge-channel on this too? (looks like you've dropped the rear of the body shell more than the front, relative to the frame rails). Or is it an optical illusion from the camera angle? 

It's an optical illusion. Part of it is because of the frame rails tapering down thinner towards the rear. 

Optical illusion.  One of the things I like about this kit is the exact fit of some of the assemblies. for instance, if you pop those interior side panels (with the wheel wells) into the body, then key it into the floor, it pretty much all snaps in place. Then the floor board snaps to the chassis with sure fit. There's nearly no way to mess that up. You may even be able to do it without glue it goes together so well.  

Optical illusion.  One of the things I like about this kit is the exact fit of some of the assemblies. for instance, if you pop those interior side panels (with the wheel wells) into the body, then key it into the floor, it pretty much all snaps in place. Then the floor board snaps to the chassis with sure fit. There's nearly no way to mess that up. You may even be able to do it without glue it goes together so well.  

I only asked because I did a very intentional wedge-channel on my (taking forever) '32 gluebomb build, and it took rather a lot of planning and fabrication.   B)

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/59708-32-ford-roadster-gluebomb-rework-sept-8-15-back-on-track/?page=1

Edited by Ace-Garageguy