Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lessee . . . car?  No.  

Big rig?  Not really.  

Pickup?  No.  

Hot Rod?/Street Rod?  Yeah, sorta.  But those go under 'cars.'  

Light Commercial?  Sure, why not?  It rides on a 1-ton chassis.  ^_^  

So, Light Commercial it is!  

Ladies and Gents, Please allow me to introduce AlumaPumpa.  

She was born from an unmanageable imagination and a little too much Fat Tire.  See, I got to wondering, "What if Boyd Coddington built fire trucks?" 

AP8.jpg

So, a Testors AlumaCoupe kit and a Monogram Mack Backdraft Fire Engine kit walk into a bar, proceed to get dizzy with the MEK fumes, and engage in an intense, deeply lusty relationship that results in AlumaPumpa.  Oh, just to keep the kink going, there's rolling stock from an AMT C3500 snapper in there, too.  

A couple of words about the colors:  Most fire trucks are red.  A few are orange.  A lot are yellow.  And a whole passel of 'em are "Federal Safety Yellow" (Which most real firemen refer to as 'Baby S--- Green' . . . and it's not puke.)  I went back and forth as to what color to paint AlumaPumpa.   I'm a traditionalist, so red was in there!  But, you can't argue with the impact of a yellow hot rod.  And there was no ignoring the fed yellow.  Because I couldn't win an argument with myself, I compromised.  I decided to do a fade from yellow to fed baby  p:o:op  yellergreen, and overlay some red to orange fade flames.  This is what happened, and that's how it happened.  (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)   

AP5.jpg

Just having a little fun.  I dug out my saw, MEK, and beer goggles . . . 

AP3.jpg

That's all folks!   It's The End.  

AP6.jpg

Hope you enjoy . . . at least a little bit.  B)

• Like 1

Very awesome and appropriate on National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service Day.

Thanks for the compliment, Jonathan.  And, for the the reminder of the day.  

It's an honor to call attention to such a solemn remembrance, even if it's an off-the-wall model that makes the point.

Sweet! Kind of has a rainbow Fruit Roll-Up look with that multihue paint. Probably doesn't taste nearly as delicious, though....

Thanks, Chuck and Gator!    (Sounds like a morning radio show ^_^.)

I had never looked at it as a Fruit Roll-Up before.  Probably never look at it again without thinking that. :huh:

OMG!!!!!! Now that is something else.  Some serious imagination , creativity and craftsmanship ! It is so wierd you have to like it. And I like the humor as well.

Be Well

Gator

Thanks!

That's cool im sure Boyd would of loved it too ! What did you use for the hoses?

Actually, Boyd did see it.  I finished it before he passed.  It was on the model contest table at Goodguys Southwest Nationals the last time Boyd was here.  One of his guys spotted it and commented on it.  He thought it was cool enough that he came back later with Coddington to show it to him.  Boyd checked it out, laughed and smiled, and gave it a thumbs up.  :)    

But he wouldn't be photographed with it.  :P   

I don't think he liked baby dump green fire trucks.  At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

PS:  Almost forgot!  The hoses are bulk elastic, obtained from a sewing supplies store.

Edited by Danno

Well it's a guarantee you'll never have to worry about seeing another one on a contest table. 

Great imagineering right there. Excellent execution.

That's true, Rob!  It's never crowded in the Crazy Hybrid Hot Rod Fire Truck class.  :P

Thanks for the kind comments; greatly appreciated.

VERY cool & different Dan! B)

Nice to see something from your bench!

Will it be on the table next April at the Desert Scale Classic?

Thanks, Jeff!   Glad you like it.  

It may well be at DSC12 . . . in fleet.  I have a half-finished partner for it ~~~ the AlumaLadda.  They might both be there!

Hope to see you join us and bring your builds!  B)