Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Buick Invicta Hardtop

StevenGuthmiller

Just fab! As usual! 

I would really like to see a few shots of your models with the front and back featured predominantly... don't know for sure if this is called "3/4" view???

Also, what is your chosen technique for accentuating panel lines?

Just fab! As usual! 

I would really like to see a few shots of your models with the front and back featured predominantly... don't know for sure if this is called "3/4" view???

Also, what is your chosen technique for accentuating panel lines?

Do you mean something like this Frank?

photo DSCN4531_zpsmfk8qrcu.jpg photo DSCN4537_zpskeuoqzfv.jpg

I don't normally like to take photos like this just because I'm no photographer & it drives me crazy that the rest of the car is out of focus.

I just use craft acrylics like "Delta Ceramcoat" for my panel lines.

Easy to deal with & if you don't like it or make a mistake, it wipes right off with a damp cloth.

I usually try to pick a darker shade of body color for the panel lines.

I tried a medium tan for this one & wasn't impressed, so I went with a darker brown.

Probably a little too dark, but it worked for me.

Steve

Do you mean something like this Frank?

photo DSCN4531_zpsmfk8qrcu.jpg photo DSCN4537_zpskeuoqzfv.jpg

I don't normally like to take photos like this just because I'm no photographer & it drives me crazy that the rest of the car is out of focus.

I just use craft acrylics like "Delta Ceramcoat" for my panel lines.

Easy to deal with & if you don't like it or make a mistake, it wipes right off with a damp cloth.

I usually try to pick a darker shade of body color for the panel lines.

I tried a medium tan for this one & wasn't impressed, so I went with a darker brown.

Probably a little too dark, but it worked for me.

YES - that's exactly what I meant! Thanks! You can make some adjustments on your camera to keep more of an object in focus - start by adjusting the aperture - the smaller, the more will be in focus. While setting the aperture, you may have to compensate by slowing down the exposure time, but when it goes from 1/120th of a second to 1/60th, it's still fast enough that you can take the picture without a tripod. Thanks for the suggestion about panel lines! I will apply it in the future!

YES - that's exactly what I meant! Thanks! You can make some adjustments on your camera to keep more of an object in focus - start by adjusting the aperture - the smaller, the more will be in focus. While setting the aperture, you may have to compensate by slowing down the exposure time, but when it goes from 1/120th of a second to 1/60th, it's still fast enough that you can take the picture without a tripod. Thanks for the suggestion about panel lines! I will apply it in the future!

Thanks Frank, but I don't think I can adjust any of that on my camera.

All I have is a 15 year old Nikon "Cool Pix". :rolleyes:

Steve

Thanks Frank, but I don't think I can adjust any of that on my camera.

All I have is a 15 year old Nikon "Cool Pix". :rolleyes:

I always liked the Cool Pix line! Is it a SLR (single lens reflex)? If it is, it would surely have the ability to set the aperture, and that's the main thing that will give you better depth of field. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about the fuzziness at the other end of the car... you can even get that on a partial side-shot, and really, nobody is going to notice when your fab models' most visible parts are in the foreground! ;)