Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Buick Invicta Hardtop

StevenGuthmiller

Well, after taking me nearly twice as long as my typical build, I've finally finished the '61 Buick.

Not exactly sure why it took so long. I seemed to take longer breaks during the build than usual. I'll have to see if I can correct that on the next one! :rolleyes:

Any way, here's a list of mods that I made on this one.

I immediately removed the front "screw posts" from the radiator brace! I just can't stand the look of them anymore & that's usually the first change I make on these old screw chassis annuals.

I pretty much stuck with the original nail head engine straight from the box with a little added plumbing & wiring.

A few of the added engine bay details included hood latch details, fender brace bars & a scratch made vacuum tank.

On the inside, I added embossing powder carpet, resin cast door & window crank handles as well as a scratch built rear view mirror & dash clock. & then there's that time consuming upholstery pattern done with paint & lots of masking tape.

On the outside, all of the chrome has been replated, the glass tinted & a resin cast mirror & scratch built antenna added.

I also used a set of the AMT "Firestone Deluxe" tires which I have become convinced are much closer to 1/24th than 1/25th scale. They always seem to look a little too big to me.

That aside, I'm fairly happy with the end result.

Now on to the next project. This one a '62 Ford Sunliner.

Thanks for pushing me along on this project guys! I appreciate it! :)

Steve

2v2UBrEc5xwUbWP.jpg2v2UBrE7yxwUbWP.jpg2v2UBrEfrxwUbWP.jpg2v2UBrEKFxwUbWP.jpg2v2UBrER5xwUbWP.jpg2v2UBrEAjxwUbWP.jpg2v2UBrEPrxwUbWP.jpg2v2uTRqk5xwUbWP.jpg2v2uTRqQNxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Thanks so much guys!

Great build Steve! That blue on the insets is just beautiful, what is that?

The blue on the sides, the lower dash & steering wheel is a '69 GM color called "Azure Turquoise".

It looks a little more "blue" in the photos than turquoise.

I may try to get some better photos over the next few days.

Steve