Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush / Compressor

Hi Jonathan,

I think for starting out and $90, it's hard to beat. I have a Harbor Freight about 15 minutes from my house. I'm going to run down there and look at it. As Charlie suggested above, if I get it I will get the warranty. Only problem is when I go to Harbor Freight I end up buying about twice what I went in to buy.

Bill

OP, I'll leave the compressor choice up to you, but I will say you'd be better served by acquainting yourself with some of the features that different 'brushes have.  For example, do you prefer internal or external mix? Siphon feed or gravity feed?  Once you get things like this sorted out, you will probably enjoy airbrushing much more than if you just took a stab at it based on someone else's recommendation.   

Luckily, we have a member with a site that explains all the stuff you need to know to get started. 

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

PS  He prefers Badger's Anthem 155 - it's unique setup allows one needle to do everything from fine lines to much wider patterns, where other 'brushes would require a needle change.

Edited by Monty

Bill I'm glad you started this thread because I'm in the exact same position as you, I have know idea what questions to even ask let alone any point of reference to make a decision on what A/b to buy. One other resource you might want to try would be to go to YouTube and see what some of the air brush guys are doing with various types and brands of a/b I'm sure there are lots of clips on how to do what with the various different a/b's. I still may end up trying the harbor freight deal myself just to get started pretty cheap way to go if you ask me.