Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Ford Sunliner, Update, 12/4, Finished At Last!

StevenGuthmiller

Looking good so far Steve! I like the fender skirts from back then, but I don't care for the stainless steel appearance of them. I prefer them to be body color with the stainless at the bottom of the skirts instead.

I also like the appearance of the convertibles with the top up, as opposed to the regular steel roof. To me, the '62's steel roof was just too plain and boxy, but that was the style back then. The up-top you have looks to be shaped well. One bugaboo I've always had with kit uptops is when they're not shaped correctly. Some I've seen are too straight and boxy, and not the proper "sag" and "drape" that a ragtop should have. The color you picked seems to be a natural for this era Ford. For whatever reason, black suits this one especially well. I guess it's the more straight edged/no nonsense appearance that makes it so. ;)

Steven

for the bumper guards you can use the 57 chevy bumper dagmars and cast what you need for the shape along with some modification

Thanks John.

I'm thinking the '57 dagmars are probably way too big.

By the time I whittled them down to size, I could probably scratch make one & resin cast it.

Problem is, I'd have to do 2. Front & rear.

Most likely I'll just skip the bumper guards.

They're not that important to me & would probably be a lot of work.

Steve

Sorry , not a fan of skirts ,

UNLESS ,,,,,,,,, when they have a nice pair of legs sticking out of them,,,,,,But thats whole another story line that could probably go all wrong

I hear ya Bill! :D

Looking good so far Steve! I like the fender skirts from back then, but I don't care for the stainless steel appearance of them. I prefer them to be body color with the stainless at the bottom of the skirts instead.

I also like the appearance of the convertibles with the top up, as opposed to the regular steel roof. To me, the '62's steel roof was just too plain and boxy, but that was the style back then. The up-top you have looks to be shaped well. One bugaboo I've always had with kit uptops is when they're not shaped correctly. Some I've seen are too straight and boxy, and not the proper "sag" and "drape" that a ragtop should have. The color you picked seems to be a natural for this era Ford. For whatever reason, black suits this one especially well. I guess it's the more straight edged/no nonsense appearance that makes it so. ;)

Honestly Bill, I'm not really nuts about the look of the stainless skirts either.

I just thought it might separate it a little from all of the other '62 Fords. :)

Since I'm a fan of skirts on a car, I'll say "go with the skirts"...... but it's your car.

I am still leaning that way Richard.

Sometimes you have to go against the grain a little & be different. :P

I've never, ever been a fan of skirts, on any vehicle, but that's just me. Long ago, I had a '66 Grand Prix, and I removed them first thing.

I agree under some circumstances Kevin.

But there are a lot of cars that look just "wrong" without them.

A lot of cars had them integrated right into the body design.

Picture almost any '60s Cadillac without them. ;)

Steve

Personally, I wouldn't use skirts on a car with a lip [flair?] on the rear wheel opening. To me, it looks like an afterthought.

I think the only cars that look good with skirts are the ones that were designed with the skirt integral to the 1/4 panel, like a '60s Caddy where they came off to access the wheel and it obvious something is missing if they aren't on.

socal_member_leo62b.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't use skirts on a car with a lip [flair?] on the rear wheel opening. To me, it looks like an afterthought.

I think the only cars that look good with skirts are the ones that were designed with the skirt integral to the 1/4 panel, like a '60s Caddy where they came off to access the wheel and it obvious something is missing if they aren't on.

socal_member_leo62b.jpg

For the most part, I would agree with you Steve.

But there are a few cars that I think look nice with skirts even though there is a "flare".

Late 50s Chevies come to mind.

Steve

While I'm in the no skirts camp, it may look right if your doing a "full dress" type build. At that time, and depending on what part of the country you lived in, the skirts were almost a default option much like duel exhaust and glass packs. If you have any of the Revell '59 Impala kits I think some of them had bumper guards that you may be able to use. If you are still thinking "full dress" you might think about a continental kit . One last thought on the skirts, maybe the old '57 Mercury cruiser skirts or even the larger "bubble" type skirts if you are going all the way.

While I'm in the no skirts camp, it may look right if your doing a "full dress" type build. At that time, and depending on what part of the country you lived in, the skirts were almost a default option much like duel exhaust and glass packs. If you have any of the Revell '59 Impala kits I think some of them had bumper guards that you may be able to use. If you are still thinking "full dress" you might think about a continental kit . One last thought on the skirts, maybe the old '57 Mercury cruiser skirts or even the larger "bubble" type skirts if you are going all the way.

Thanks David.

I'm going stock, but not over dressed.

I pretty much leave the continental kits at the door around 1960. They look "right" prior to that, but I think they look out of place on basically anything without fins.

Kind of the same thing with cruiser skirts. Plus that's a little more "custom" than I want to go.

I was contemplating The stainless skirts & bumper guards mostly because they were very popular "stock" options.

Steve

I started the painting process today & quickly discovered that the paint I picked was not what I was looking for!

Picked up a can of Duplicolor 1566 Toyota black at the auto parts store yesterday with the assumption that it was a basic black.

After applying a couple of coats I realized it had very fine gold metallic flecks in it!

No indication in the description or on the cap that it was a metallic paint, but there you go.

Depending on the circumstances, I normally wouldn't let it bother me, but this being a stock build, I have no use for metallic black.

I would have included photos, but I won't embarrass myself.

A little too much humidity in the air today, so I got a lot of "fogging" in the paint.

I have a little bit of a different Duplicolor black on hand so I'll probably shoot the final coat with that, or pick up another can this afternoon.

So if anyone is looking for a black with fine gold metallic in it, Duplicolor BTY1566 is your answer! :D

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Getting fairly close on the interior.

For some reason, this color combo was giving me real fits to try to replicate, but I think I got fairly close.

Just got the pearl coat on tonight & still have floors & foiling to do.

The body is nearly finished in the polishing department & then I'll be ready to start foiling that as well.

I'm sure some will find this "Chestnut" interior scheme with the black paint a little odd, & I have not seen photos of this combo, but as was the rule back then.....there are no rules. ;)

How did I do with the color guys?

Steve

photo 1962_Ford_Galaxie_500_For_Sale_Interior_resize_zpsbimnra18.jpg photo DSCN4557_zps2gg1pfv7.jpg photo DSCN4556_zpsb2cd7cyw.jpg

This is definitely going to be a very nice model but I have to admit the 62 Ford was never one of my favorites since my dad traded a 57 Olds Super 88 for a new beige 4-door 62 Galaxie 500. Once I got my drivers license I actually preferred to borrow the family Peugeot 403 to cruise the hamburger drive in.  

But with the passage of 53 years a 62 Ford is looking pretty cool to me!!!

Thanks guys!

What accent color will you use inside the exterior side molding?

I'm not 100% sure yet John.

I'm leaning towards doing it in Chestnut, although I know it's not factory correct.

I just think it might need a splash of color with the black body & black top, & white would just look out of place IMO.

Black would be........well, more black! :)

Steve