Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Ford Sunliner, Update, 12/4, Finished At Last!

StevenGuthmiller

Nice foil and paint work on a lovely ford. Can I ask do you foil after paint then clear or do you paint ,clear then foil. Your system look so real.

For scripts & small pieces like door locks, I use the "foil under paint" technique.

That's how the scripts on the rear fenders & the badges on the front quarters were done.

The badge on the hood was done after paint, but before clear to seal in the colors in the badge.

The rest of the trim I leave until all of the paint & clear are finished.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Thanks guys!

As some others on this forum have mentioned, I do my builds like each component is an individual model.

That explains why the interior & body are nearly finished & the engine & chassis have not even been started.

Plus I always hate to think of putting a bunch of work into an engine, chassis & interior only to have issues with a body that ultimately make me set it aside.

That & the fact that I really have no love for building engines! :D

But, I hope to get going on those "mundane" tasks soon.

I would really like to have the body & interior finished sometime this week.

Steve

Great interior, and nice paint. 

The chestnut stripe would look nice, I think. If you decide against it, perhaps red?

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie!

I've pretty much decided on the stripe being Chestnut.

I thought about doing the outer wheel in Chestnut too, but the kit wheels don't have very good rim detail.

I'm not sure I want to draw attention to them.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

This build has been going much slower than I anticipated.

Mostly due to work changes that have me a lot busier during the day so I have less energy & drive on weekday evenings.

It's a real pisser!

I would love to get back to the production I had several months ago, but I guess it is what it is.

Anyway, I at least finished up the interior this afternoon.

Hopefully I'll get more foiling finished on the body this evening & then get going on the engine & chassis tomorrow.

Steve

photo DSCN4576_zpslcj1tz7o.jpg photo DSCN4574_zpseqija0zl.jpg

photo DSCN4575_zpsbhukbhmv.jpg photo DSCN4580_zpsfssojeyx.jpg

This build has been going much slower than I anticipated.

Mostly due to work changes that have me a lot busier during the day so I have less energy & drive on weekday evenings.

Boy, I can identify with that. I'm so whipped lately at the end of the day (and on weekends) that I rarely put in much more than an hour or two on the bench during any given week.

That said, you certainly turn out consistently fine and inspiring work. Always a treat to see your cars come together.

Thanks Guys!

Boy, I can identify with that. I'm so whipped lately at the end of the day (and on weekends) that I rarely put in much more than an hour or two on the bench during any given week.

That said, you certainly turn out consistently fine and inspiring work. Always a treat to see your cars come together.

Yeah Bill, it's a little frustrating for me.

I was on a pretty good roll for the past few years, finishing about 1 build per month & I felt pretty good about finally producing something.

Now I'm down to about 1 every 2 months & I feel like it's a struggle to get that much done.

I guess I just have to quit working! :D

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to spend as much of the weekend as possible to move this project along a little.

I have to be getting closer!

Interior is finished, the body is basically ready, chassis is finished & now the engine is complete.

I should be getting relatively close to assembly.

I do still have a few parts to make, some foiling & small detailing to do & other odds & ends, but I should be able to finally finish this build soon.

I added a photo of the finished hubcaps as well.

Well, not finished. I still have to add a gloss coat to the center caps.

All of those little details seem to begin to pile up on you when you get to this point.

Steve

photo DSCN4594_zpstcotdxma.jpg photo DSCN4600_zpsi5cexlb8.jpg photo DSCN4599_zpsm3gbrdcw.jpg photo DSCN4595_zpsybingx5t.jpg photo DSCN4592_zpsp3rwhvsq.jpg

That engine is incredibly detailed for a 50-year-old model. Very nice. And your work makes it all the better.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie, but the engine was stolen from the new AMT '62 T-bird kit.

I used the same engine for a '61 Starliner build a little while back.

This '62 is sitting on my bench right now nearly finished.

I just have the plumbing & a few details to finish up & it will go "under glass".

It seems like it's been a long time coming.

I'll be glad to have it finally finished.

Hopefully sometime this weekend.

Steve

Steve sorry if it sounds over the top but I always look forward to your builds,your work is like the ultimate goal that Id like to reach with my own work, your attention to detail is oustanding, that engine is a work of art, seems you dont like doing them!. This is going to be another knockout when finished bud.

On a sidenote those wheeltrims are almost identical to the trims they used on the 66-71 Ford Zodiacs over here in the UK.