Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Ford Sunliner, Update, 12/4, Finished At Last!

StevenGuthmiller

Well, on to the next one.

Next up is this 1962 Ford Sunliner.

I've never been a fan of the roofline on the '62 Ford hardtops, but I do really like the silhouette of the convertible with the top up.

As you can guess, this will be another stock build, but I'll be using the tri-power engine from the AMT '62 T-Bird kit.

Decided to do this one in basic black to show off the bright work, with a "Chestnut" interior & a black top.

And the beat goes on! :P

Steve

photo DSCN4539_zpsxpbjfusw.jpg photo DSCN4540_zps2ljy6tfj.jpg photo DSCN4541_zps9jmz1uhh.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Thanks guys!

The colors sound interesting. 

Looking forward to this.

Charlie Larkin

Black must not have been a hugely popular color for the '62 Ford.

I did a simple photo search & saw very few black '62 Ford convertibles. A huge majority of them were Chestnut.

The few black ones that I did see had either black, red or Chestnut interiors.

The Chestnut was the most interesting to me.

I'm debating whether to paint the areas between the side moldings Chestnut as well, or not.

Steve

Havent seen it in a while.

But there use to be a 62 Galaxie vert around here locally. Black with red int. 406  4spd . I REALLY liked that car.

Same guy also owns a white with red int 63 vert ,

I heard a few months back he had put a cammer motor in the 63 but I havent seen it yet

The '62s I remember usually had the insert painted white or black. Some were tied to the interior color. If you use a lighter color as an accent in the interior you could also add it to the insert. Just a thought.

Great project, Steven! I like the color combo you're going for. While the accent inside the side molding would probably have been white from the factory, I'm sure any dealer would've been willing to repaint it in Chestnut for any buyer who ordered a Sunliner with the 406-3x2V FE motor.

If you want to change up the wheel/tire combo, keep in mind that most, if not all, high-performance Galaxies had heavy-duty suspension, bigger brakes, and 15" wheels rather than the standard 14-inchers. In '61 and '62 Galaxies with 15" wheels came with either '55-'56 dog-dish caps or '56 full wheel covers. The latter are, of course, in the AMT '56 Ford kit.

Edited by John Goschke

Thanks Guys!

Great project, Steven! I like the color combo you're going for. While the accent inside the side molding would probably have been white from the factory, I'm sure any dealer would've been willing to repaint it in Chestnut for any buyer who ordered a Sunliner with the 406-3x2V FE motor.

If you want to change up the wheel/tire combo, keep in mind that most, if not all, high-performance Galaxies had heavy-duty suspension, bigger brakes, and 15" wheels rather than the standard 14-inchers. In '61 and '62 Galaxies with 15" wheels came with either '55-'56 dog-dish caps or '56 full wheel covers. The latter are, of course, in the AMT '56 Ford kit.

I'll be sticking with the stock wheel covers on this one John.

Not really sure if this one would fit into the high performance category anyway.

It's not an XL model & it has the 390 badge on the side, so no 406 here.

Now, whether or not the tri-carb 390 would have boosted it up into that category or not......well, I'm no expert.

Interestingly, a good friend of mine's father had a '62 XL hardtop with the tri-power 390, but I have no idea what it had for original wheel covers.

His dad immediately discarded them right after he bought it in '62 in favor of a set of American mags. :)

Steve

photo 8109_zpsirqc3pxd.jpg

I got to thinking about it, & I remembered that my friend's dad's car had a set of what I assume were stainless steel skirts on it.

I'm usually not a huge skirt guy, but for some reason I do like the look on the '62 Ford convertible.

I just happened to remember that I had a set of skirts from a '61 Chrysler New Yorker laying around & discovered that with a minimal shave, they fit perfectly

What do you guys think?

Unfortunately, the chrome is not in great shape, so they'll have to be foiled or painted with Alclad.

I'm also trying to think of something close that could be easily fashioned into a set of bumper guards.

Any ideas?

I figure, why not give this one the "full dress" treatment. :)

Steve

photo DSCN4543_zpswlpgymgd.jpg photo DSCN4542_zps1u18gpgn.jpg photo 005_zpslbnztqd6.jpg photo T0020_zpssbrvdi5w.jpg photo T0190_zpsz4rqdoig.jpg

The stainless skirts look nice on a black car, I think. 

But...the black skirts would provide a nice break on the lower mouldings.

Here's an idea. Strip the skirts seeing the chrome is shot anyway, and paint them black, and see how they look. If you prefer the stainless look, cover them with BMF and give them a light burnishing so they'll look more stainless and less chrome.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks for the input guys.

I'll have to think about it.

The stainless skirts look nice on a black car, I think. 

But...the black skirts would provide a nice break on the lower mouldings.

Here's an idea. Strip the skirts seeing the chrome is shot anyway, and paint them black, and see how they look. If you prefer the stainless look, cover them with BMF and give them a light burnishing so they'll look more stainless and less chrome.

Charlie Larkin

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like a painted skirt on this one Charlie.

Mainly because of the fact that there is a chrome wheel well molding.

The chrome strip running between the fender & skirt would look a little odd in my opinion.

I think it will be either stainless, or nothing.

Steve