Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell (Germany) Ferrari 250SWB! New for October

Matt Bacon

16 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

BTW:  That looks awesome!  Aluminum rims?

Thanks Kurt, and yes those are Detail Master's Borrani wheels when they made them way back when. They are aluminum rims with PE spokes. As James mentioned this one's never made it back to the shelves, and at this point it we may never see it again. Of all the 250 GT's, I've always thought this had the best proportions. Model Factory Hiro's kit is no slouch as well, but it's EXPEN$$IVE! It too may be unobtainium at this point however.

5 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Thanks Kurt, and yes those are Detail Master's Borrani wheels when they made them way back when. ...

Thought so.  I picked up a KA Models detail pack for the 250GTO, which has turned aluminum/p-e wheels.  Expensive yes, but when obsessed it shouldn't matter, eh?

5 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Thought so.  I picked up a KA Models detail pack for the 250GTO, which has turned aluminum/p-e wheels.  Expensive yes, but when obsessed it shouldn't matter, eh?

I have those wheels for the Ferrari 250 Testarossa.................VERY nice set and a great alternative to the no longer available DM ones. When I want something detailed bad enough, I have spent some BIG $$$$ and time to get it done! :D

4 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

It was an Italeri kit that Revell was repackaging.  But these two seemed to have done it often.  I still have mine unbuilt with a few others

Ferrari 05.JPG

Gerry, your collection about mirrors mine! I don't have the MFH kits though. I see a Ferrari 250 GT Lusso pop up on eBay from time to time (along with a 330 LMB). One of these days I'll bite the bullet and snag one of those! ;)

7 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I have those wheels for the Ferrari 250 Testarossa.................VERY nice set and a great alternative to the no longer available DM ones. When I want something detailed bad enough, I have spent some BIG $$$$ and time to get it done! :D

Gerry, your collection about mirrors mine! I don't have the MFH kits though. I see a Ferrari 250 GT Lusso pop up on eBay from time to time (along with a 330 LMB). One of these days I'll bite the bullet and snag one of those! ;)

Sold a few of the MFH's because a club member really wanted them and I prioritized.  As regards Ferraris, Here's a good portion of the stash, minus a few sold.

Ferrari 06.JPG

Ferrari 01.JPG

Ferrari 02.JPG

Ferrari 03.JPG

Ferrari 04.JPG

Ferrari 05.JPG

Thought I was obsessed about Ferraris, wow.  I actually built the Italeri 250GT California, used Maryland & Miniatures interior details, because the seats are horrible.  Don't see the AMT 250SWB kit, and don't bother, it's horrible.  I have the Hiro Lusso on order, which I will feel lucky to get.

So I brought out my collection to inventory. :P

IMG_7035_Fotor.jpg

2 hours ago, aurfalien said:

Hi,

With regards to the AMT 250SWB, both Pat St-Martin and Bernard Kron did an amazing with that kit and pretty much stuck to script meaning OOB.  Some mods but all in all they did an awesome job and made the kit look really nice.

Every so often I get mine off the shelf, open it up, take another look at the body, and put it right back. 

Has the Italeri one been produced recently? I built their GTO and it was a pretty nice kit. If I really wanted to do a 250SWB, I think I'd try to find an Italeri. 

26 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Every so often I get mine off the shelf, open it up, take another look at the body, and put it right back. 

Has the Italeri one been produced recently? I built their GTO and it was a pretty nice kit. If I really wanted to do a 250SWB, I think I'd try to find an Italeri. 

Not recently on the 250 SWB.   I had an AMT years ago but sold it off to a person who REALLY, REALLY wanted it even with its problems.

I don't think the the Italeri 250 SWB kit has been available since the '90's. I built mine in '98, and it wasn't that long before then that I bought it. Would love to see it back, but with the shape the hobby's in these days, I'm not holding my breath. I do have an untouched one in my stash, but I'm hanging on to it as their incredibly difficult to find.

The hoary AMT one is all over the place............it figures as to me it's subpar at best. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

The hoary AMT one is all over the place............it figures as to me it's subpar at best. :rolleyes:

You're being kind. The final insult was that the model on the box wasn't the kit inside. It was probably an Italeri too. 

I remember buying the AMT 250 SWB, AMT Porsche 928, and AMT Lamborghini Countach (all ESCI tools, I think) at a Big Lots as a teenager back in the day.   I built the Porsche and Lambo and they weren't that bad as cheap shelf models.  Never built the SWB, though I thought about kitbashing it with an AMT Destroyer monster truck. 

3 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Never built the SWB, though I thought about kitbashing it with an AMT Destroyer monster truck. 

HAHAHAHAHA! I wonder what it would look like as a drag car with a 6-71 coming through the hood. Or maybe it would work as a lookalike "kit car." I'll have to see if there's enough room for a VW engine in the trunk. 

Thanks for the ideas! B)

This is my AMT build.  The most obvious worst part was the rear fender line springing up before the door jamb, which I fixed.  The rear end was too square, so I filed/sanded down to almost nothing if I recall.  The grill shape isn't really accurate, left it alone; but the kit has two, one chromed and the other to paint aluminum, which might go into my Italeri kit that has lots of missing parts.  I added the competition brake cooling ducts.  The wheels are really horrible, but plenty of aftermarket available.  I got the partial Italeri kit really cheap, needs a chassis, engine, has no chrome parts, so thought of making it a restorod, which would get you hung up by your toenails if it was real.

OTP front zoom.jpg

IMG_3769_Fotor.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2021. 5. 25. at 오전 8시 31분, Exotics_Builder said:

What I'm looking for is full detail kit(MFH). I'm going to enter immediately upon the building request from customer. Currently receive new request for 250 GTO, but can't find anywhger else.

Can you offer 250 TR of 250 GTO in MFH? I can pay its worth. Thanks

3 hours ago, Jiwoo said:

What I'm looking for is full detail kit(MFH). I'm going to enter immediately upon the building request from customer. Currently receive new request for 250 GTO, but can't find anywhger else.

Can you offer 250 TR of 250 GTO in MFH? I can pay its worth. Thanks

Sorry no.  I sold those off about 5 years ago.

• Sad 1