Model Cars Magazine Forum

My First Diorama...speed Shop

Tony T

Here's the start of my garage diorama...just glued sheet plastic (unused shower wall sheet!) with Tenak...garage doors are slide in right now... <_<

SpeedShop1.jpg

SpeedShop2.jpg

SpeedShop3.jpg

Thanks to you diorama builders, and your photography, I was inspired!

I'll keep you posted as I progress...

Here's the start of my garage diorama...just glued sheet plastic (unused shower wall sheet!) with Tenak...garage doors are slide in right now... :lol:

SpeedShop1.jpg

SpeedShop2.jpg

SpeedShop3.jpg

Thanks to you diorama builders, and your photography, I was inspired!

I'll keep you posted as I progress...

Great start Tony. Did my first diorama, "used car lot", with a lot of help from the folks on this forum. They will give you all the help and support that you need. Don't be afraid to ask. I wasn't. :lol:

Lookin' good. Remember that in 1/24 that 1/2 inch equals a foot. That walk in door looks a mite low but the roll ups look pretty good. Don' want any stoop shouldered mechanics. LOL This is the first shop I did and the walk in door is a little too short here.

90t-bird7hooters.jpg

Okay, so I took some time to resize the man-door...I had it almost 50% too short...anyways, I now have an scale 80" tall door! Thanks, Luke57 for pointing that out!

MrRustys3.jpg

Here's with a few models, a coke machine, and a "Posh Spice" figure (sometimes you find cool stuff in the discount aisle!)

MrRustys2.jpg

MrRustys5.jpg

I'm still planning on putting trim around the doors, and possibly around the outer edges of the building facia...not sure if I'll go with a clapboard, brick, or stucco for the finish...still have to make a sign for the shop..."Mr. Rusty's....Shop"...not sure of the full name yet...

Any and all comments are welcome! Especially if it will help me at this point of the project (like Luke57 pointing out the too small door frame)...Thanks!

Edited by Tony T

Wow! Now aren't you glad you enlarged the door. I LOVE tall women!! LOL

I got my first one too short when I added that plastic stip at the top after I had cut the opening. That little strip made it almost a scale foot too low. A little goes a long way sometimes.

If you haven't decided on your sign yet, you can work wonders with PaintShop, some typing paper, color printer and some balsa stips. You can even cover it with a sheet of clear plastic to give it that painted metal sign look.

6454.jpg

A business card program makes a good basis for a neat little sign, too.

90TBIRD7ME.jpg

Edited by LUKE'57

Thanks, Luke57...Yeah, she's s bit tall for 1/24 (about 1/22), but works fine...the door makes a difference for sure! As for the sign, I'll be working on that a bit later...just trying to decide on the name..."Mr. Rusty's___________ Shop" Opening Soon!

Thanks, Luke57...Yeah, she's s bit tall for 1/24 (about 1/22), but works fine...the door makes a difference for sure! As for the sign, I'll be working on that a bit later...just trying to decide on the name..."Mr. Rusty's___________ Shop" Opening Soon!

Aw, heck, Tony. I had that very problem at my shop...I just had 'em kick off those high heels, and related to 'em barefooted. Don't rebuild the shop, bring the girls down low...

Thanks, guys...yeah, I just measured the door to my garage at home, and converted to 1/24th...put the Posh Spice figure in there just to check if I got it right the second time...first time, I measured, checked, measured...cut...thought nothing of it...glad Luke57 pointed it out now, before I got much further...otherwise I might have had to build a bunch of 1/43 scale models... :lol:

Edited by Tony T

Luke57...a question about your #54 above...what did you use for the gravel road surface? Scale gravel, or kitty litter? or something else? Not sure if I want to go gravel, concrete or pavement for the lot out front.

Concrete or pavement is the easiest to do. Just dry spray some light grey for concrete or dark grey or black primer for pavement. I used three or four colors of HO ballast material from the Woodland Scenics railroad section to make the gravel parking lot for my shop. They also make some really neat adhesive to use with it that looks kind of like milk and is really easy to use. You just spray a coat on the place for the gravel and sprinkle the ballast on it. After you get the look you want then spray a few more coats on top of the gravel (it's a matte finish so it doesn't give an unrealistic shine) and you're home free. It's quite sturdy and holds up well to handling. If you start to lose some of the gravel then just spray another coat of glue on it. Some people use diluted white glue the same way.

tombd1.jpg

Did some work on the Speed Shop last night...trim, door handles, a bit of paint, a couple of signs...concrete pattern is paper.

SpeedShopa.jpg

SpeedShopb.jpg

Sorry...We're CLOSED

SpeedShopc.jpg

Next up is to pick a trim colour, add the business signage, and to weather the front a bit...I guess I'll have to get some paint on the floor of the shop, too.

Okay...so I've had a couple of thrashes on the Speed Shop over the last week...got the front about where I want it...got a plywood sheet cut, and primered...ballast next...built a wall mounted tire rack of wood, and an unfinished moveable tire rack of sprue...I'm pleased with the result...let me know what you think...

MrRustysSpeedShop1.jpg

MrRustysSpeedShop2.jpg

MrRustysSpeedShop3.jpg

MrRustysSpeedShop4.jpg

Now that's beginning to come together. With the exception of that blue beetle out front and the fancy Eye-talyun car inside., it reminds me of any of the busy fifties or early sixties speedshops I've seen. Take it out for a walk and get some sunshine pics and I think you'll be one proud pappa.

Thanks again for the comments, Mike and Jerry...LUKE57 - Just got my Apr 'that other mag'-congrats on the photo!

I'm planning on taking it for a walk as you said...right now I've still got 2-3 feet of snow on the ground in the yard. As soon as I can set up a convenient place in the sun, I will! I've got an idea where I'd like to set it up for photos, but I can't get there from here!

George-As for the cinder blocks...I printed them out (the bricks too) from a dollhouse site, 1/2 inch scale... http://www.printmini.com/printables/ph.shtml just scroll down to the wallpaper and flooring. I printed 3 sheets, then cut out the blocks and interlocked them where I needed to join them (that way I didn't cut any blocks in half, just at the outter sides, which I covered with trim anyways). Minimally visible, and looks a bit like a stress crack in the cement between them. Just sparingly used white glue on the back. Too much (like I did in a couple of spots), and it wrinkles. I'd probably use slightly diluted glue next time.

Plans are to narrow the yellow 'safety path', and define the 'footsteps' a bit. The rest of the side and back walls may come eventually, as might a roof, but not sure yet. I've got a tire rack to finish (the orange and purple sprue thing), and I may start on the office walls...not to mention the gravel for the parking lot...the ballast may have to wait, as it was a bit priceier than I thought at my LHS. Will keep an eye out for cheaper alternatives...sand maybe? No rush. I might try to add an exterior light fixture or two, but again, no rush...not to mention a workbench, and a couple of tool boxes, and maybe a hoist...the sky is the limit!

Edited by Tony T

• 2 weeks later...

Have done a bit of work on the shop over the past while...

Narrowed the width of the safety path lines, and defined the foot prints, and finished the tire rack...

SpeedShop18.jpg

SpeedShop03.jpg

Added a bit of a land mark for the roof...

SpeedShop01.jpg

The Shop is busy today...

SpeedShop06.jpg

SpeedShop02.jpg

And after a long day...

SpeedShop16.jpg

We're closed...

SpeedShop17.jpg

Guest Gramps-xrds

It's looking better every time I see it Tony. I think I'm starting to like doing things like this better than the actual models. lol