Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hake Rigging Euclid

Dennis,

I am just wag ing here. I think they might be 6cyclynders if they are side by side. Cummins maybe?? But then again Euclid was owned by GM then . I think?

Do I sense another of your cool projects? If so  I may have something for you??

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

The Euclid stuff from back then ran Detroits due to the GM ownership. They used the 6 110's in the dozers and scrapers and off road dumps. Not sure about that 8x4. Never seen one but it sure is cool. If it has 2 engines side by side they're probably 671's. They did build a power unit that had 2 of them side by side. P.S. Did some digging and they were available with either Cummins or Detroits although the Detroits were more common after GM bought Euclid in 1953.

Edited by jeffbrad

Dennis, from what my book says (there isn't a twin steer model in it), it could have had either twin Detroit 6-110's, twin Cummins NRTO-6-BI "turbo diesel", or one truck had twin Detroit V12's. All trucks in the book have Allison 4 or 6 speeds, some trucks have two trans. As for the model, it could be a 1LLD, 2 LLD, 3LLD, 4LLD, 5LLD, or 6LLD. Also a R-55, or a R-62. These all look the same as the  Hake truck, but not twin steer. 

Dennis,

I am just wag ing here. I think they might be 6cyclynders if they are side by side. Cummins maybe?? But then again Euclid was own by GM then . I think?

Do I sense another of your cool projects? If so  I may have something for you??

Be Well

Gator

I've been thinking about using this as a model subject for quite some time ;) 

If the engines are side by side then each powers one side of the truck, right? No need for diffs. Or is it more complicated?

Having a picture of the drivetrain would certainly be beneficial. This is something I haven't been able to locate. As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words"

I was able to locate this bit of information....

http://www.ritchiewiki.com/wiki/index.php/Euclid_Road_Machinery_Co.

Twin Engine Concept

Building on the prosperity of its off-highway trucks and bottom-dumps, Euclid expanded after the war and built one new plant and purchased a second in the vicinity of Euclid. 
In 1949 Euclid developed the first wheel tractor-scraper that had two engines, one powering the scraper and a separate engine powering the scraper’s wheels. Such a development was only achievable in part to the 1948 introduction of the Allison Division of GM’s first semi-automatic “Torqmatic” transmission that had a torque-converter drive. With the Torqmatic transmission mounted to two engines, the tractor and scraper driving wheels operated in sync.[10] 
In 1949 the two-engine concept was applied to off-highway trucks.

Dennis, I knew I had seen this discussed somewhere before, here is a link to an aths  forum discussing this.  Doesn't go into enough detail to build it, but it it's a start.

http://forums.aths.org/70495/What-Am-I-for-Sunday-120609?PageIndex=2

Also, I believe the company still exists as a Barnhart company, you might try contacting them.  

Hope this helps.

Chris

For the drive train you also might be able to get some ideas from some of the WW2 Allied tanks. There were versions of the US M4 Sherman and M3 Lee / Grant that used paired Detroit 6-71 diesel engines. The M5 Stuart used a pair of Cadillac V-8 automobile engines with hydra-matic automatic transmissions. The late war M24 Chaffee used a similar set up.

Neat subject for a model, that is a big truck.

Edited by Aaronw

Dennis, from what my book says (there isn't a twin steer model in it), it could have had either twin Detroit 6-110's, twin Cummins NRTO-6-BI "turbo diesel", or one truck had twin Detroit V12's. All trucks in the book have Allison 4 or 6 speeds, some trucks have two trans. As for the model, it could be a 1LLD, 2 LLD, 3LLD, 4LLD, 5LLD, or 6LLD. Also a R-55, or a R-62. These all look the same as the  Hake truck, but not twin steer. 

Thanks Terry. This is good info :)

Dennis, I knew I had seen this discussed somewhere before, here is a link to an aths  forum discussing this.  Doesn't go into enough detail to build it, but it it's a start.

http://forums.aths.org/70495/What-Am-I-for-Sunday-120609?PageIndex=2

Also, I believe the company still exists as a Barnhart company, you might try contacting them.  

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thank you Chris!!! This information answers two important questions. The first being the drivetrain setup. The second one being what is the setup on top of the right fender.Hake_Euclid_U1_-_Copy.thumb.jpg.118e4337

For the drive train you also might be able to get some ideas from some of the WW2 Allied tanks. There were versions of the US M4 Sherman and M3 Lee / Grant that used paired Detroit 6-71 diesel engines. The M5 Stuart used a pair of Cadillac V-8 automobile engines with hydra-matic automatic transmissions. The late war M24 Chaffee used a similar set up.

Neat subject for a model, that is a big truck.

Thanks Aaron. I will follow up on this.

Thank you Chris!!! This information answers two important questions. The first being the drivetrain setup. The second one being what is the setup on top of the right fender.Hake_Euclid_U1_-_Copy.thumb.jpg.118e4337

Dennis,

I would think that set up on the right  front fender is a big air compressor ! At least that is what it looks like to me.

Be Well

Gator

Dennis,

I would think that set up on the right  front fender is a big air compressor ! At least that is what it looks like to me.

Be Well

Gator

That's exactly what it is. The link that Chris provided explained it. I wasn't sure if it was a "pony engine" used for starting.