Model Cars Magazine Forum

JO-HAN Maverick kits

fomocomav

This is a quick review of what is the same and different between these two kits. This review is of the more common Pro Stock cars.  The parts allow for the making of a 1971-72 Maverick Grabber Pro Stock car.  The grille has the two sport lamps in it, but no center medallion.  The sport lamps in the grille mean Grabber Option for 1971-72.  I have no idea if the decals are intended to replicate a then-existing car.  If you notice on the box lids, there are 2 different versions represented, the Jo-Han-owned version, and the Seville-owned version.  You can see the differences above the Jo-Han logo on the top of the lids, and also under the "features" panel picture.  On the long side opposite the features is the "teaser"? panel, explaining a bit about Pro Stock.  The one with the UPC logo is obviously newer, and probably came out in 1992-3.

DSCN5897.JPG

DSCN5861.JPG

DSCN5861.JPG

DSCN5862.JPG

DSCN5864.JPG

DSCN5865.JPG

Edited by fomocomav
Computer issue

Here are the Comet boxes.  These two are also representing two different periods of ownership, before and during Seville.  I was told that Seville did the different lid with the red/magenta car on it only, but here is proof that they had two different box styles.  I don't have the red/magenta car box, so I can't include it.  The Seville markings are also above the Jo-Han logos and on the bottom of the teaser side panel.  As with the Maverick above, the parts content is the exact same between the two kits.  The car represented in this kit is a 1972 per Jo-Han, but could represent a 1971 as well.

DSCN5880.JPG

DSCN5881.JPG

DSCN5882.JPG

DSCN5883.JPG

DSCN5884.JPG

Here are the instructions and decal sheets.  The smaller Maverick sheet is the older one.  On the Comet picture, the sheet to the left and the decals to the left are for the original issue stock/Pro Stock kit.  The decal sheet for the Comet doesn't appear to have changed for the two white box issues I'm showing.  The instruction sheets DO vary, one saying Pro Stock, the other Pro Street.  I don't know what the difference is.  The pictorial assembly parts are the same, despite the title differences.

DSCN5866.JPG

DSCN5895.JPG

The off-white parts are the Maverick, the turquoise are the Comet.  The Maverick has no scripts anywhere on the body, and the Comet only has "Mercury" on the trunk lid.  Both cars had the appropriate scripts on the front fenders when first released.  The differences between the kits are, the Maverick could have a BOSS 429 or a SOHC 427, and the Comet could have a BOSS 429 only.  The roll cages are different, and the seats are different.  The seats remind me of the kind used in poor builds of kit cars, and I have never cared for them.  The Comet has a stock steering wheel with a trim ring that shouldn't be there (wasn't on the 1:1 car), and the Maverick has a competition chrome 3-spoke steering wheel (missing from this kit).  The tires included are Good Year on one side, and Firestone 500 on the other.  On the windows, the Maverick only has Mav on its top runner, and the Comet has Mav and C3100 on it.  Both kits have rearview mirrors, which is an oddity for model cars of this vintage.  The interior door panels have a very little bit of detail on them, and it is accurate for a 1971-72 vehicle, except for the missing medallion in the Comet. 

DSCN5867.JPG

DSCN5868.JPG

DSCN5869.JPG

DSCN5870.JPG

DSCN5872.JPG

DSCN5873.JPG

DSCN5876.JPG

DSCN5877.JPG

Edited by fomocomav
More info

The colors are darker on the older box lid than on the Seville lid.  Since I have multiple Comets, I checked, and this is consistent with the others I have.  The Comet tail lights have Comet 72 on them, and the original kit tail lights have Comet 71.  There was no noticeable change between the years that would show up in the kits.  These were "Simple Machines," and the only thing I can think of on the 1:1 cars would be the interior pattern.  One unit, 3 point seat belts didn't show up until 1974, IIRC. I don't have every year Comet dealer brochure to check this, but they would be consistent with the Maverick

DSCN5890.JPG

Edited by fomocomav

Also to consider, the Testors release of the Comet.  The Comet is almost a direct re-pop of the Jo-Han kit, except for the two side windows, which are now on their own sprue, instead of sharing one with the windshield.  The decals look nicely done, but I think the dragon is more suited to a '70s van.  The best thing about the Testors release is that it is white plastic, so no bleed-through!

Notice that the old Jo-Han kits' decals do not match the box art.  No one has seen the Rapid Randy decals in a kit.  Billy Gooche's daughter has done a set of them, and also has the Mr. Gasket original set.  I don't know if Rapid Randy was a real car, or if the Mr. Gasket wore those decals, but the Mr. Gasket set would be the one I would go with, if I were building a Pro Stock.

DSCN5885.JPG

DSCN5886.JPG

DSCN5887.JPG

DSCN5878.JPG

The Mr. Gasket decal sheet is from the first issue of the Comet, the '71 annual (one of two '71 Comet kits) that could be built stock (except for Maverick wheel covers) or Pro Stock.  That kit still had the side trim on the body, as well as the chassis with molded-in exhaust system and interior with molded-in seats.  All of that was carried over from the promotional model (which did have correct wheel covers).  The "Comet" decal sheet with the blue panels on it is from the "other" '71 annual, which could only be built as a funny car.  No side trim on the body, hood molded shut. 

I have never seen a "Rapid Randy" decal sheet in any of these kits, and I've looked at a bunch of them.  "Rapid Randy" is probably a takeoff on "Fast Eddie".  Jo-Han had deals with a number of owners/drivers in the early Seventies to put their names on decal sheets, including Ed Schartman.  Jo-Han went heavily into racing subject matter after losing the last of their Chrysler Corporation promotional model business after 1970.  Revell and MPC later had a few of the same owners/drivers under contract (Mickey Thompson, Gene Snow, Don Nicholson).  The story I heard was that Revell took Jo-Han to court to force them to stop producing the Thompson and Snow funny cars, and Jo-Han then changed the boxes and decal sheets to get their names off of the kits so they could still crank them out.  That doesn't explain their removing Schartman's name from the Comet kit though, as nobody else was using his name after Jo-Han.  I think the Comet was the last car he raced back then.   

The bucket seats in the Pro Stock kits are dune buggy items; they're super light weight.  Those are accurate (probably the best ones tooled by anybody back then) and were used in 1:1 scale by most Pro Stock teams back then. 

1972coronet is right, there are a few kits that were available that used named drivers.  None of those are in my collection, as they are always too expensive.  Also, I only need ones that can be built stock.  I know the Pro Stock kits seem pretty far from stock, but the article Juha Airio did showed they could be made close to stock relatively easily.

The Schartman kit referenced above has "Comet" parts in it, such as the roll bar and the spoilers, which were not available originally in a Maverick, but came on the Comet drag racer.  The wheels are also different from the common Maverick ones. 

The Comet I have is molded in blue came with the Mr. Gasket decal. the Box is Jo-Han box and was not sealed when I purchased it several years back.

The decal looks like the kit it belongs to would have be the Maverick shown above, but does not match the box art. As the decal is gold with black outlines.

The back of the decal is stamped with instruction on its use and this company's name

The V.M.Corporation

Box 30244-7281 Pearl Rd

Cleveland, Ohio 44130

funny I lived in Cleveland in the early ninety's never know about this place

Edited by GMCMAN52
forgot to add info

Here is the 1971 original issue Mercury Comet.  I didn't even know it existed until about 2 years ago, and even then, it was very hard to find.  Mine wasn't complete, but it had what I needed.  And I think it has some of the best box art!  This issue, unlike the Maverick, could be built stock or Pro Stock.  The Comet had a separate issue for the drag kit.

DSCN5898.JPG

DSCN5899.JPG

DSCN5901.JPG

DSCN5902.JPG

DSCN5888.JPG

DSCN5892.JPG

DSCN5894.JPG

DSCN5896.JPG

One thing that needs to be remembered about these old Jo-Han kits, if they are open when you go to buy them, BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR DECEPTION/LACK OF KNOWLEDGE by the seller.  GMCMAN52 mentions above that he has decals that don't look like they belong to his kit.  They don't.  But where did they come into the picture?  A mistake at the factory?  An unknowing seller?  Or worse, a seller trying to deceive buyers?  I've had Jo-Han kits with different color plastic sprues in the same box.  How do I know it was a factory job?  Because I bought it sealed and opened it myself.  Anyone with as much experience as I have with Jo-Han will know that is a possibility, and not unheard of.  Someone new to these kits will think I'm making it up.  I personally wouldn't do this, but some people might try to mix kits to match colors to sell for a better price.  Look for flash!  If it is on some parts, but not others, be wary.

Sad thing with such nice bodys and great engine / tranny s we get probably the worst chassis in any kit.:huh:

How is this chassis any worse than the old AMT chassis?  The details that are present are very good.  And really, the OTAKI Maverick had a much worse chassis (which is what you get when you motorize something).  I had that kit once, and it wasn't worth having.