Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone seen this?

chadrob30

This kit surprised me.

A few months ago the guys at Round2 asked me if I could build a Lindberg '34 Ford pickup for them.  Thinking it was the old ex-AMT kit we all know and love, I thought "Cool...can't wait, how do you want it done?".   Well....then I found out it was...THIS kit!   

I got the kit, looked at their mockup pics, gritted my teeth and started building.

When it was all done, I thought "Hey, that was kinda fun".  I'll be buying another eventually....don't know what I'll do with it, but like a lot of you I would never have considered buying this one before.   

006.JPG

Edited by pack rat

I saw one at a show last week end and just as you probably thought it is a box of junk. If you like the box art buy it but that is all you will have . According to the guy that showed it to me the PE parts will not fit anything else.

This kit surprised me.

A few months ago the guys at Round2 asked me if I could build a Lindberg '34 Ford pickup for them.  Thinking it was the old ex-AMT kit we all know and love, I thought "Cool...can't wait, how do you want it done?".   Well....then I found out it was...THIS kit!   

I got the kit, looked at their mockup pics, gritted my teeth and started building.

When it was all done, I thought "Hey, that was kinda fun".  I'll be buying another eventually....don't know what I'll do with it, but like a lot of you I would never have considered buying this one before.   

006.JPG

Looks great!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree wholeheartedly. The '53 Fords are real sweethearts and build up beautifully...as do the Mopars. I haven't built the Chevelle, but it's on my list to get fairly soon. The GeeBee airplane kit (ex-Pyro, like the Cord, '48 Lincoln and Auburn) is about the only large-scale game in town for that (it's about 1/26 even though it's marked 1/32), and though it has some inaccuracies (like visible wing ribs on what were actually smooth plywood-skinned wings) it's pretty well scaled...except for the little pilot figure.

I can see this kinda-'34 RPU being the basis fir something custom and cool...and I already have a home picked out for that PE grille.B)

Ace, just thought I'd let you know that I just got one of the Gee Bee's off Ebay, ($10  including shipping!), and they've fixed the problem with the wings, the rib pattern still shows up.inside the parts, but the outer surfaces are smooth and flat, except for the very faint raised line in the pattern of the paint separation which is ok with me. Now I just have to dig out some of my literature on them, I've got one book that's from the sixties on the history of the Granville brothers and all the aircraft they built, one from the seventies that has just the "barrell" planes, but lots of color photos, and the one following the building of the 1:1 scale version of the R-2, it has some excellen under construction photos if I should want to really get carried away, it even has pitures of one of the last flights before it was retired to.the Smithsonian when it struck an object on the runway damaging the landing gear and one of the tires.

Hey packrat, I appreciate the work you did to try and make that old pile of parts as appealing as possible under the circumstances, like detail-painting the blower to try and make it look more 'period', and the patina paint job.

After being so harshly dismissive of this kit, I've found myself thinking that maybe there should be a community build where everyone tries to do something cool with it..silk purse out of a sow's ear and all that. In the interests of being constructive rather than negative, here's a sketch of what I would do with mine:

56499c444d6f8_Lindberg34_Oct162015_small

Hey packrat, I appreciate the work you did to try and make that old pile of parts as appealing as possible under the circumstances, like detail-painting the blower to try and make it look more 'period', and the patina paint job.

After being so harshly dismissive of this kit, I've found myself thinking that maybe there should be a community build where everyone tries to do something cool with it..silk purse out of a sow's ear and all that. In the interests of being constructive rather than negative, here's a sketch of what I would do with mine:

56499c444d6f8_Lindberg34_Oct162015_small

I like what you did there, Chris.  This is one of those kits you can have some fun with if you want a slump-buster.