Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Revell '29 Roadster

2002p51

if you can find an issue of Street Rodder Magazine, look to see if you can find a street roadster or open fender coupe with Firestone implement tires on the front, if you don't find one look at the Coker Tire ad it may have the tire in it. A lot of us have been waiting for this tire to surface, in the real world they were used on the front of Sprint Cars and early track roadsters, and the search for the track roadster look, and a desire for as narrow a front tire as possible led to their migration to the street.

SoSome of us that also build race cars have been wanting it for building early sprints and super modified type cars, and it's a really good scale copy of the real tire.

You mean the firestone dirt track fronts? Looks like I need to backpedal-- I agree that the Revell tire is very, very close to the 1:1 dirt tracker. I had somehow confused it with another ribbed front tire, which the tires in the old Orange Crate '32 represent. I've attached images of both so you can see how I got mixed up:

I think the dirt tracks are interesting, but a little cluttered-looking I'd love to see the other style offered in scale again, too!

DirtTrack.jpg

712280_L_1c40018f.jpg

Well, here it is with lowering done.

ModelA14.thumb.jpg.9f0c5ed9acf562c56813f

Compare this with the earlier photo and you should see that the stance is much better and that improves the overall look of the model. The main problem now is, like any time you have to rebuild an almost complete model, you can never get it as "clean" as the first time it was built. The rough handling "removed" some parts that shouldn't have been and stuff like that just never seems to go back together as neatly as it was the first time. So this model will never see a show table, not that it would've before, of course.  :)

In conclusion, my original opinion of this kit has not changed. It's got some nice parts that will prove useful and show up on a wide variety of other projects. But as a stand alone, this kit just misses the mark. Close, Revell, but a swing and a miss just the same. 

You mean the firestone dirt track fronts? Looks like I need to backpedal-- I agree that the Revell tire is very, very close to the 1:1 dirt tracker. I had somehow confused it with another ribbed front tire, which the tires in the old Orange Crate '32 represent. I've attached images of both so you can see how I got mixed up:

I think the dirt tracks are interesting, but a little cluttered-looking I'd love to see the other style offered in scale again, too!

DirtTrack.jpg

712280_L_1c40018f.jpg

those are both implement front tires, just different styles, and I may be wrong, but I think the Orange Crate tires are 16" tires on polished Halibrand front wheels.

The difference between the tires in your photos are they're for two different size tires, one looks like a 4.50x15, and the other a 5.50, or 6.00x15, the amount of ribs across the tire show up the difference in width, and I don't really know how Firestone did difference sizes as far as the edge of the tread was concerned.

Edited by horsepower

Wow! The end result you've achieved looks fantastic. The photography is too--for a second I thought I was looking at a Street Rodder magazine photo of a real car that you were using as reference, then realized it was the actual model. If that's what a "miss" looks like...I'll take it!

Thanks for all the positive comments you guys. It's a pretty decent shelf model after all and I'm okay with it. I may just have to do another one of these. I see a red one with a '32 grill with a small block Ford behind it.  :)

A small block Ford!  YES!   The SBC mafia would like us to think that all hot rod Fords from the late 1950's on ran Chevy V8's.  Just ain't so.  As a matter of fact, if you go back and read the hot rod mags from the mid 1960's on, notwithstanding the packaging challenges and higher costs, the 289 Ford V8 was THE trick powertrain for many 1.1 scale hot rod projects.  

Needless to say, Drew, I (and I'm sure many others following this thread) would love to see what this one might look like!   Cheers...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Great final result. It's interesting how getting the stance dialed in always pays off. It never not worth the extra effort. In this case it's as nice a Deuce railed highboy as has been done among the early efforts from this kit. The rake even makes the A-bone grill shell look good. I, too, will look forward to the red car with the Deuce grill!