Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Revell '29 Roadster

2002p51

I hinted at this car in another thread. Basically it will be, not an exact replica, but close to the famous Bud Bryan roadster that was built in a series of articles in Rod & Custom magazine during the early '70,s.

1929-Ford-A-Highboy-Bud-Bryan.thumb.jpg.

The frame needed scratch built engine mounts.

ModelA06.thumb.jpg.f53a13533e0ba7e08fc21

I modified a triple carb manifold to represent the Edelbrock "Super Dual" for two carbs.

ModelA07.thumb.jpg.b2263e5ad4e1b55dc2acd

The quick change rear and Model A cross member came from spares and the longer drive shaft was made from .100 Evergreen rod.

Anybody know what kit has a set of headers for a flathead? Maybe the '48 Ford woodie?

No headers in the woody kit but there are some in the 48 convertible (2n1) kit.

The Revell 40 Ford convertible has flathead headers (+ heads  n  intake.)

I like them better than the 48 Ford stuff...  

Edited by mike 51

I've been looking forward to seeing a "flattie" with a Halibrand rear !  This  looks very promising! 

It's not that hard to do and it's a natural.

The biggest problem I have with this car is the %$#%@ black paint job. I don't really like black cars much to begin with and I never can get it smooth and glossy enough. But I'll keep fighting.  

Didn't the first issue of the 50 F1 kit from Revell have an incorrect set of headers for the Ardun heads, but correct for a flathead? 

And I know it's just me being a putz, but shouldn't the transmission mount be at the end of the trans under the tailshaft housing instead of under the main case? It is a later style four speed isn't it.

Oh, good suggestion. I think I have one of those out in the "vault" somewhere. Thanks for the tip!

see my post update Drew.   Replicas and minatures of Maryland has lots of neat flathead parts too.

Edited by mike 51

Didn't the first issue of the 50 F1 kit from Revell have an incorrect set of headers for the Ardun heads, but correct for a flathead? 

And I know it's just me being a putz, but shouldn't the transmission mount be at the end of the trans under the tailshaft housing instead of under the main case? It is a later style four speed isn't it.

No, you're not being a putz and you're probably right. This transmission is an original 3-speed that would've been behind a flathead in a stock configuration. I made that transmission mount that way for two reasons. One, I like to use the KISS principle.  Two, once my models are done they sit on a shelf and nobody ever picks them up and looks underneath. I rarely mess around with detailing the underside of my models or worrying about correct transmission mounts etc.  I'm actually surprised that I bothered to make a drive shaft and I probably only did that because I knew I wanted to post that photo. See, I went the extra mile just for you guys!  

Got the body on and the interior in. 

ModelA08.thumb.jpg.ffd1038a30c882b64a1a7

As usual for me the black isn't near as glossy as I had hoped. It's three coats, wet sanded between each coat and that's about as much time as I want to put into it so  that's it.  The wheels are a bigger issue. I have lots of '32 Ford style spoke wheels, all different sizes, all different colors. But the only ones that look right and come closest to fit the kit tires are one short. Yep, wouldn't it figure, I've only got three of them!   I may just end up using the kit provided steel wheels and caps. This wasn't going to be 100% accurate replica anyway. 

I'm pretty sure those are AMT 32 wheels.....hope that helps a little?

where'd you find the headers?

The '40 Ford convertible as you suggested!  :)

Was the AMT '32 ever issued in red plastic?

Edited by 2002p51

Glad I could help :)  

I've seen 'em in black,grey,tan,silver and white..red seems possible in that context,I think the Vicky was offered as a firechief car at some point....

I'm sure those are AMT because of the axle bosses for the wire axles...

Edited by mike 51