Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is there any decent kit of 1956 Continental MK II?

Now that man is OBSESSIVE! Talk about some insane detail! It's literally like a 1:1 being built from the ground up 'cept it's in 1:12 scale. I've been following his build for some time, and I can only hope to build like that someday. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

Thanks for the link. I have not read 59 forum pages, nor scrolled all pictures either, but I am sure when Mr. Obsessive himself calls someone obsessive then he must be half crazy.

Well, it seems there is no way other than fighting with a TKM thing (sorry, I cannot call it a model)

BTW, what is Moebius waiting for?

Edited by khier

Moebius won't do the Continental...no racing history, very few of them customized, no alternate body styles save a couple of convertible conversions.  As much as we might like to see one, you can't really be too upset about nobody having done one.  One of the Mints did a decent diecast in 1/24 scale, and Ideal did a 1/20 scale kit way back when.  The Ideal kit is simplified, but the one I saw a long while back still looked pretty decent.  I think Modelhaus sold a resin copy of the complete kit years ago, but no longer offers the body now. 

Bigger than or equal to 1/25

Yes, there was!  Ideal Toy Corporation did a very nice '56 Lincoln Continental MkII in 1/20 scale back in the day.  It was actually quite accurate, with features not seen in a model car kit from anyone else for several years, such as opening doors, hood & trunk, plated parts.  Trouble was, it was not only too expensive for most kids to buy on their own, along with being probably far too complicated for young hands to build.  I've seen two of this one, both in the collection of the late Bill Harrison of Monta Vista California.  One was the ITC "point of sale" builtup display piece, the other one Bill built up from the kit.  These kits are quite rare today, seldom ever seen.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson
Corrections

Thanks for the link. I have not read 59 forum pages, nor scrolled all pictures either, but I am sure when Mr. Obsessive himself calls someone obsessive then he must be half crazy.

It's definitely worth looking through.  It's both inspiring, and humbling. at the same time.

Wishing someone would make a decent Continental kit here too.

Yea, I'd be looking at the Franklin Mint 1/24 scale car.  I see it came in at least black and red.  Watch the eBay category and you will eventually get one cheap, especially if box and papers don't matter to you.  If you choose to take it apart and rebuild in your colors and style, damaged ones go cheap!   Set yourself up with a search agent, they'll email you daily with new listings.

eBay Search List for "lincoln, 1956"

Tom Geiger showed the general condition of the 25th scale promos over at this other thread on the smaller Revell kits, and I chimed in one comment later with a photo of a Franklin Mint diecast.

Haven't yet found any R&R resin repop that Tom mentioned there, though. Assuming that is not an available item anymore, it would be entertaining if someone could take a not-so-warped promo body, straighten it out via bondo efforts or something, and cobble it back together well enough to get a resin cast from it. Tempted to try that myself, but haven't landed a promo body cheap enough yet.

Edited by Russell C

The FMs seem light years ahead of the other rivals. Your hint with the damaged ones is very clever. A third root would be scan 1/32 kit, scale the CAD then print. But hat is something I never tried before, and probably a brand new FM would be cheaper.

Moebius won't do the Continental...no racing history, very few of them customized, no alternate body styles save a couple of convertible conversions.  As much as we might like to see one, you can't really be too upset about nobody having done one.

Some people once did a '41, which leaves even less room for variants.
They haven't regretted it.

We need the kit manufacturers catching up on post war American Milestone Cars. And the '56 Connie would be a prime candidate.
So would be the '57 Eldorado Brougham, the Motorama Show Cars and other notable standout cars.

There are cars, that are interesting, despite they never went around in circles, or along a 400 metre long straight, believe it, or not.

Some people once did a '41, which leaves even less room for variants.
They haven't regretted it.

We need the kit manufacturers catching up on post war American Milestone Cars. And the '56 Connie would be a prime candidate.
So would be the '57 Eldorado Brougham, the Motorama Show Cars and other notable standout cars.

There are cars, that are interesting, despite they never went around in circles, or along a 400 metre long straight, believe it, or not.

Preaching to the choir here, though of course the trick is to convince the kitmakers that enough people feel that way to make it worthwhile.  

I sure wish someone would do a nice kit of the Continental MKII. Beautiful car in real life. On a side note, I watched the recent B-J auction in Las Vegas and 2 were sold there that were in perfect condition, they sold for $40K each which is an insult considering they sell junked up "restomods" for over $100K fairly regularly.

Moebius won't do the Continental...no racing history, very few of them customized, no alternate body styles save a couple of convertible conversions.  As much as we might like to see one, you can't really be too upset about nobody having done one.  One of the Mints did a decent diecast in 1/24 scale, and Ideal did a 1/20 scale kit way back when.  The Ideal kit is simplified, but the one I saw a long while back still looked pretty decent.  I think Modelhaus sold a resin copy of the complete kit years ago, but no longer offers the body now. 

Huh? Customized? WANT WANT WANT!!!! HAHAHAHA

continental-mk-ii-06.jpg

0_Mark_II_030.JPG

2-custom-1957-lincoln-continental-mark-ii-by-john-torrie.jpg

38f4a4a1e35913d272a7cf947dca5a27.jpg

Preaching to the choir here, though of course the trick is to convince the kitmakers that enough people feel that way to make it worthwhile.  

I've been swamped with reissues and starved for new releases for the past 40 years.

I buy EVERY new release, in many cases cases of them.

Yes, there was!  Ideal Toy Corporation did a very nice '56 Lincoln Continental MkII in 1/20 scale back in the day.  It was actually quite accurate, with features not seen in a model car kit from anyone else for several years, such as opening doors, hood & trunk, plated parts.  Trouble was, it was not only too expensive for most kids to buy on their own, along with being probably far too complicated for young hands to build.  I've seen two of this one, both in the collection of the late Bill Harrison of Monta Vista California.  One was the ITC "point of sale" builtup display piece, the other one Bill built up from the kit.  These kits are quite rare today, seldom ever seen.

Art

At one time I was fortunate to have a mint, unbuilt Ideal 1/20th Mk-II in my collection, later sold along with almost everything else to go to art school. Anyway, I have to agree with you, Art, that the kit was quite accurate in proportion and scale. However, it was actually a relatively simple curbside kit with a one-piece body (no engine, opening hood, or doors.) It was very similar in concept to Monogram's 1/20th '55 & '56 Cadillacs, and would be a great companion piece for them on a shelf. It was molded in black, with a red interior, and plated wheels, bumper and emblems, along with rubber tires. While very simple, it would be a great basis for a highly detailed build.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...