Model Cars Magazine Forum

How To Resolve Missing Windshield Post

I have a Johan 69 Javelin annual with a missing windshield post. Is there any alternative beyond butchering a body of another car for a post. I`m sure others have encountered this problem; so I`m seeking the sage advise of this group of savvy builders on how you resolved this issue.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.17570cbfa9279b9cddd6fb

Yes, I think that will be the best way of doing it. I have never reconstructed a complete missing post but I have reconstructed a post that was badly bent and broken. If the other post is there then you can use that as a template to make a new one.

If you have or can borrow ANY other JoHan '68-'74 Javelin or AMX kit or promo body, you can "sili-clone" the post by taking a silicone mold off the good body, putting the mold on your body, and carefully filling the mold with JB Weld or some other epoxy. I have several bodies I'll be doing this with.

Never done it myself for obvious reasons.

That's my first consideration when I buy a vintage kit.

I don't even consider it if the roof pillars are damaged.

I don't mind paying a little more for a good one.

My first inclination would be to check my other kits that have a similar A-pillar configuration & see if I could rob one rather than build one from scratch.

But I would not shy away from at least trying to make one from styrene strips. There's really not a lot to a windshield post.

Steve

Thanks one and all for the suggestions so far.

Yes, I think that will be the best way of doing it. I have never reconstructed a complete missing post but I have reconstructed a post that was badly bent and broken. If the other post is there then you can use that as a template to make a new one.

Atmobil what method do you employ to straightening badly "bent" post?  I have a 69 GT.T.O. with that issues as well. I`d also like to hear the suggestions from you other go folks as well.

Thanks one and all for the suggestions so far.

Atmobil what method do you employ to straightening badly "bent" post?  I have a 69 GT.T.O. with that issues as well. I`d also like to hear the suggestions from you other go folks as well.

The model I did this on was the AMT Ford C600 stakebed truck. The drivers side A-post was broken at the bottom and bent inwards with a bend about in the middle of the post. I first tried to bend it bakc buy putting it in warm water and gently bending it but it was not very good and because the post was very thin it broke where the bend was. I was able to use the upper half of the post as a guide and with som sheet styrene I made a new lower half of the post.

It was still very weak but when I got the windows inside the truckcab it was not a problem.