Model Cars Magazine Forum

Firefighting Logistics equipment

I've spent the summer on light duty so instead of being out on the fire lines with my crew, I've been on the other side of things providing logistical support for the many large wildland fires this year. Nearly everybody is familiar with fire engines, but I thought there might be some interest in seeing what the thousands of people behind the scenes do, and the misc equipment used to support these operations.

Here I have traded in my engine in for a fork lift. :)

The Federal Government operates the National Cache System, 11 strategically located warehouses around the US. Two are run by the Bureau of Land Management (Idaho and Alaska), the other 9 are run by the US Forest Service.

Some shots of the Northern California Fire Cache, as of October this cache alone has moved more than 38 million dollars of equipment to the various fires around the state.

Used hose is returned and a crew washes and tests it before retuning it to service. Each pallet is approximately 8000 - 10,000 feet of hose, this crew works 12+ hours a day 6 days a week. Similar crews refurbish other equipment.

Obviously you need trucks to move all this stuff.

usfs%20logs%208_zpsh2js1s4j.jpg

usfs%20logs%206_zps4ishjeer.jpg

usfs%20logs%201_zpsgjruoxlg.jpg

usfs%20logs%2010_zpsakji6org.jpg

usfs%20logs%202_zpsgeltzkpu.jpg

usfs%20logs%204_zps5xuovb46.jpg

usfs%20logs%205_zpskibqpcj4.jpg

usfs%20logs%203_zpszrfbzsxv.jpg

usfs%20logs%207_zpscf96guon.jpg

To save time these 28 foot trailers are pre-loaded with all the basic items a developing fire camp may need. Eight to 10 of these trailers are pre-positioned around Northern California to reduce travel times.

usfs%20logs%209_zps8hdjcifb.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

The agency fleet is often overwhelmed with orders so contracted transport equipment is also used. Some of it is common rental equipment or transportation companies. Some have regular contracts and have their own trucks set aside for the work.

Expeditor is a company that provides all kinds of services to support wildland fires. 

They provide buses for moving fire crews as well.

Many fire agencies also have their own trucks for moving supplies, stake sides are typical.

Good stuff, Aaron.  Most people would never realize how much is involved.  They usually just see a fire truck and never see all its support.  

Thanks for the tour.  Hope you get back soon to putting the wet stuff on the red stuff, brother.    B)

Need to feed people who are often in very remote locations

The California Department of Forestry has their own camp kitchens

But most are contracted, some specifically for fires, many also provide services to large events and movie sets.

As major restaurant suppliers US Foods and Sysco trailers are a very common sight in fire camps near the food units. 

It is not always so formal, sometimes the food comes out of a bucket and you just pull up a rock. :)

Vehicles need fuel, so they bring out mobile gas stations

Helicopters use lots of fuel

Most fuel tenders are locally contracted, but some agencies do have their own fuel trucks like this one from the Kern County Fire Department.

When available local offices from the national forest or national park will be utilized for the misc administrative work, copy machines, fax machines, phone etc. Occasionally a local school will be rented if the fire occurs during the summer break. When these are not available mobile office trailers will be brought in.

Here a bus has been converted, it is fully equipped with copy and fax machines as well as a satellite link.

On the really large fires that burn all summer fire camp may become a small city

Mobile Laundromat (sorry couldn't get a good shot of the trailer full of washers and dryers)

laundry_zps5eytw96d.jpg

Mobile chainsaw and small engine repair shop

sawshop_zps5zx5dxa9.jpg

Mobile control tower for the helibase

Edited by Aaronw

Good stuff, Aaron.  Most people would never realize how much is involved.  They usually just see a fire truck and never see all its support.  

Thanks for the tour.  Hope you get back soon to putting the wet stuff on the red stuff, brother.    B)

Thanks, I'm on the mend and should be back up and around for next season. I thought people might be interested to see what else goes on, plus some of this stuff is great model building material.

Aaron, Thank you for your service, A healthy hat off and atta boy to you and all in the fire service during National Fire prevention month, Last night Charlie and I were wondering about you and the fires out west, Gob bless and speedy recovery.

greg

Aaron,

That is a nice collection of reference shots.  Thank you for taking the time to collect them and share them with us.  I did a double take when I saw the ATWC tanker 8893, 8892 is right down the road from me in Farmers, KY. 

Quick question, how many rolls of hose are typically loaded on a pallet?  I've had an idea for a support truck for a few years and adding a hose pallet could be an interesting load for the truck to haul.

Thanks! 

Brandon

While I was working at the cache they got a flatbed load of hose and foam in, wish I had been able to get a photo, it would have made a good load for a model truck. Unfortunately I was too busy at the time. I have to hand it to people who work full time in a warehouse, the individual tasks are not as physically demanding as fireline work, but the work is constant.

As far as hose on a pallet, it varies by source, but the Northern California Cache puts 80 1 1/2" rolls of hose on a pallet (4 stacks of 20), or 104 rolls of 1" (4 stacks of 21 + a middle stack of 20). Some caches go with 100 of either size. The odd number of hose for 1" has to do with stacking when the hose is still in the factory boxes (2 rolls per box), 26 boxes stacks better than 25.

I can try to get some photos of the various equipment on pallets if you want. Ice chests are a nice bulky item that get sent out a lot, and a huge number of items are in boxes for shipping.

We used to see many of those in the 17 years we had Property in the Sierra Foothills. It was outside of a Town hardly anyone had heard of before this Summer, Mountain Ranch. I'm guessing the folks that bought it from us won't have to worry about clearing brush for a while................

You Firefighters do an Amazing Job, Thank You. Back in '92 the same area had the "Old Gulch Fire". We over looked that Valley. 

• 2 weeks later...

You know I never did either, but people kept asking me how things work "where do you eat, can you take a shower" etc etc. So I started taking a few photos a few years ago mostly for friends and family members, then I started thinking some of these would make a neat model... so I took more. :)