Model Cars Magazine Forum

BMW i8

Tompidom

The WIP:

Overall a very nice kit to build, The doors did not fit at all, I would reccomend to just glue them shut. A couple small dents(sink holes) needed to be filled in and smoothed out.
The mirrors also did not fit well with the way revell wanted to mount them, so i cut their tabs off drilled some holes inserted a pin e voila!

The Kit wheels where rubbish as usual!

Thank god for Plamoz!
http://www.thescalemodeler.com/product/1677380/20_inch_bmw_i8_turbine_wheels.aspx

Drop dead gorgeous. That really stinks that you had problems with the doors and you can't show off the interior. Do you have any interior pics?

The pics are in the build thread: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/105936-bmw-i8/

I was not planing on keeping the doors opned from the start, thoug i just never thought they would fit this bad.

super clean built! watched your Progress. the wheels make it Pop!

What kind of Problems was with your doors? the only Thing as i built mine were the sidewindows and the deformed frame...but with glue the fit perfect.

The frames where bent, no problem as you said with the window's glued in. The driverside door was fine, but the passenger one stuck out sideways at the bottem. I used s big blob of 2 part epoxy and held it in place for 5 minutes untill it stayed there.

Great finish! The rims are great - maybe the look a little better than the kits rims. Hard to say. Your color reminds me on my 90% built i8 ;) My decision was for the light tan interior because I took a of lot pictures for the details at my dealers i8. Sadly the doors will be closed like yours at the and. I don't trust the two little pins.

Did you have any problems with the decals, especially the blue accents at the rear end? I added mine and the left doesn't lay plan on the back. Decal softener didn't work either. At the end, the decal got cracks and I removed it. The last work to do before I put all the parts together is painting the blue stripes at the back.

A little, tiny missing detail at the front of your model: the blue surroundings on the inner side of the chrome trim at the nose (in Germany we name them "BMW kidneys") is missing. Revell didn't put decals for that in the box. It's a small hint in the instruction sheet.

Nevertheless, I like your i8 really well! It looks pretty good.

Now I check your bip - I totally missed it because I was on vacation. First rule: vacation, no internet :lol:

Edited by christian-w

• 2 months later...

Great finish! The rims are great - maybe the look a little better than the kits rims. Hard to say. Your color reminds me on my 90% built i8 ;) My decision was for the light tan interior because I took a of lot pictures for the details at my dealers i8. Sadly the doors will be closed like yours at the and. I don't trust the two little pins.

Did you have any problems with the decals, especially the blue accents at the rear end? I added mine and the left doesn't lay plan on the back. Decal softener didn't work either. At the end, the decal got cracks and I removed it. The last work to do before I put all the parts together is painting the blue stripes at the back.

A little, tiny missing detail at the front of your model: the blue surroundings on the inner side of the chrome trim at the nose (in Germany we name them "BMW kidneys") is missing. Revell didn't put decals for that in the box. It's a small hint in the instruction sheet.

Nevertheless, I like your i8 really well! It looks pretty good.

Now I check your bip - I totally missed it because I was on vacation. First rule: vacation, no internet :lol:

I did not forget the blue in the kidneys, i chose not to add it as i think it looks horrible:P The decals in the back went on no problem for me. Took me 3 minutes to do both. Not sure what went wrong with yours....