Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Numbers on the Windows of PRO stock's

Hi,

I'm building a seventie's PRO stock " Datsun 510"

with A 351 Cleveland engine. But the car is not a real car from the past.

it just has the style of that period.

I know that the Numbers on the Windows show some info about the class or something like that.

what Numbers do i use on My Windows? What does it mean?

Fred 

First of all a Datsun with a Ford engine would not be in pro stock. As far as the driver number the first number is the division that the driver resides in. Take for example Wayne Gapp. He lived in the Detroit area which was in Division 3. His number was PRO 356. When he won the championship his number the next year was PRO 1. If he finished out of the top ten that year his number the next year  would go back to PRO 356. The NHRA has 7 divisions based on geography.

Edited by afxmustang

First of all a Datsun with a Ford engine would not be in pro stock. As far as the driver number the first number is the division that the driver resides in. Take for example Wayne Gapp. He lived in the Detroit area which was in Division 3. His number was PRO 356. When he won the championship his number the next year was PRO 1. If he finished out of the top ten that year his number the next year  would go back to PRO 356. The NHRA has 7 divisions based on geography.

Sure about that? Here is the S&M Dodge/Mitsubishi Colt. Yeah, it ran as a Dodge, but, it was still an import. 

image17.jpg

Sure about that? Here is the S&M Dodge/Mitsubishi Colt. Yeah, it ran as a Dodge, but, it was still an import. 

image17.jpg

Good point. Wasn't there a time when as long as it maintained stock wheel base, glass location, the max engine size, and naturally aspirated...the rest was fair game ?

The good ole days...

And even then, NHRA was late to the party in allowing the domestic-branded import cars into Pro Stock.  They weren't allowed in along with the domestic subcompacts in 1972; it was '77 or '78 before they were allowed.  AHRA and IHRA did allow them earlier, and a number of Mopar teams built them for match racing.

My point had nothing to do with imports. It's the engine. The engine has to be the same brand. You can't run a Chevy in a Colt. Because it was sold by Chrysler and called a Dodge Colt it would have to have a Chrysler engine. The Datsun wasn't sold by Ford or called a Ford. It couldn't run a Ford engine and run pro stock.

Ok,thank you guy's for you answers.I'm still confused about what Numbers a should use at My windows. If not the build are correct with the brand of engine and car,i Will not change anything in this case because i have Done so much already on the build.

I decided to do the car as it was my own car :) there are Some decals on the car that are my nickname on the fenders. So it is just fiction!

anyway, it is a pure drag car, and a want to have the Numbers in the Windows just because the build lock more like a competition car. The hole " feeling" of the build get's better with the Numbers.  I Will start a New topic here in the dragracing column about the build with pictures When i have "controle" of My build i Will start the topic. And i Dont have much to Do to reach that Point. The Numbers i Will put on the Windows Will be Some related stuff to the Pro stock class i think.  (what's if ) if you know what i mean. 

Before i start the topic, and it Will not be today, i can tell you that i have scratchbuilt so Many things on this little car, i have a old topic in the workbench column that shows the build in the  beginning, the name of the topic is: Datsun 510 Pro Stock project (Doge Colt)

if you want to search in the column for that topic you can see the first pictures i shot When i got this idea.  Soon i will post more as this build are getting closer to the end.

BUT, the New topic Will be in the dragracing column,i should have post it here, Dont know why it was post in " workbench" column.  

Thank you guy's 

Fred. 

Well we have pretty much the same rules over here in Europe and Sweden as they do in the US, the sport comes from there you know. ;)
The numbers on the windows are the drag racing license number for the driver and most of them are 3 or 4 digits, lets say 341, 1798 or 2583 to give a couple of examples, but if you place yourself in the top 10 in your class in the sanctioning body you compete for (EDRS, NHRA or whatever) you get the corresponfing number from 1 to 10 after the class designation the year after as Karl said...so if you do a fictional car the numbers can be whatever you like but the classification for the car must be kind of correct and believable otherwise you will hear about it, so a Datsun with a Ford engine will not work in Pro Stock but will fit in many other classes.:rolleyes: