Model Cars Magazine Forum

77 AMC Matador: WIP (Photos Restored)

David G.

• 2 weeks later...

Great work on this.

I really like the bumper rub-strip solution. I never would've thought of that myself. 

I'm keeping an eye open for a stock-build Matador. I always thought these were interesting cars, and this is definitely one I'd like to see AMT get fully restored to a stock option.

Charlie Larkin

Great work on this.

I really like the bumper rub-strip solution. I never would've thought of that myself. 

I'm keeping an eye open for a stock-build Matador. I always thought these were interesting cars, and this is definitely one I'd like to see AMT get fully restored to a stock option.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks for the compliment Charlie. I agree about AMT doing a re-release of the stock Matador. I picked up mine at the Desert Scale Classic in Phoenix last year.

David G.

• 1 year later...

My dad passed away recently and has an unbuilt;  box opened parts still in plastic 1977 matador featuring cb radio.. was wondering how rare that is?? 

My husband loved to build model cars as a kid so would it be better to leave it unbuilt or surprise him with it for Xmas to put together

if so; where is the best place to purchase quality model paint and supplies? 

C721B582-F35C-4243-B46A-24F232F8E15F.jpeg

02C59ACE-4E1F-4D5B-BEDC-54A31EFE8D06.jpeg

6554CD55-A85E-40AF-97DC-B691D75EC1B1.jpeg

Edited by TheBlondeA
Add question

It's an uncommon kit but it was not one of the more popular kits of the day.

It took a couple of years of keeping my eyes open before one turned up at a swap meet for $50- not too expensive for a forty year old kit.

If it were up to me, I'd surprise him with the kit and give him the option of building it.

Most craft stores should have suitable paints and supplies, of you're lucky you may have an old fashioned hobby shop nearby.

There are also a lot of online vendors of paints and supplies. I have a couple of great hobby shops close by I don't buy very much online but a google search should turn up a number of options.

Good Luck, 

David G.

1 hour ago, David G. said:

I've been working on restoring my photos that were lost in the Great Photo Bucket Debacle of 2017.

Here is my most recently repaired thread.

David G.

Thanks for this effort. It's a good service to the forum. I hadn't previously seen this thread. Nice work on this old kit.

18 hours ago, Bainford said:

Thanks for this effort. It's a good service to the forum. I hadn't previously seen this thread. Nice work on this old kit.

Thanks Trevor. I was a little concerned because sometimes folks complain about "zombie threads" that come back to life. It's nice to know that my effort is appreciated, both regarding the thread and the model.

13 hours ago, Sportabout said:

Really great Matador. Not many have been built although kits are still available. Matador is one of my favorite AMC,  but Javelin AMX '71 is number 1.

Thank you Kari. I like the Javelin too... maybe a little better than the Matador ;). A friend in high school had a 71 Javelin with a 401 ci (6.6 liter) V8. Great looking car, crazy fast too.

BTW, I also repaired the photos in the Under Glass section for this car too. Here's a link.

Thanks again,

David G.

• David G. changed the title to 77 AMC Matador: WIP (Photos Restored)