Model Cars Magazine Forum

77 AMC Matador: WIP (Photos Restored)

David G.

Here's my current project:

One of my all-time favorite cars. I was lucky to find this kit at the most recent Desert Scale Classic in April.

77Matador01_12.jpg.cf8880517ebfcb4dcbbe826be42ac98c.jpg

I usually start with the engine. Here I've got most of the bits already painted.

77Matador02_12.jpg.cc19e921b5031d706d7c11729fd137ee.jpg

I don't like "floating alternators" so I usually make some kind of believable bracket.

77Matador03_12.jpg.4e1c4e762a5b2ecf561a165aa0043cd1.jpg

The silver thing on the front of the engine block is the bracket I made to "support" the air pump instead of having it hang solely from the fan belt.

77Matador04_12.jpg.ea7f616a46825644e667a6cc22ba541e.jpg

Here's the finished engine complete with spark plug wires and fuel line.

77Matador05.jpg.9cfc8029ccd0b14ac99e0446378901ae.jpg

As always, thanks for looking and feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photos Restored

Ah yes,the good old ugly AMC Matador..Man that was a weird looking car.In fact I used to hate them.And that was because my father drove a split pea greenish color one around for about 4 years.Till one day,BOOM?,the motor blew.I mean you can't deny the fact that most AMC cars were a bit odd looking,to say the least..(Of course the Pacer,the Pacer wagon,the Gremlin,and again the Matador).However now to me,they are some of the coolest cars out there.They are still odd looking,but I love them.Anyway,good luck on the build.I look forward to seeing the finished build.  

Great job on the exhaust manifolds David, just the right amount of rust! Didn't this kit's engine have a hole through it for the axle? If not, I've gotta find one, it would be much easier than filling the hole in the one that came with my Javelin!

Great job on the exhaust manifolds David, just the right amount of rust! Didn't this kit's engine have a hole through it for the axle? If not, I've gotta find one, it would be much easier than filling the hole in the one that came with my Javelin!

Thanks Mike. On this one the axle rides under the shallow part of the oil pan.

David G.

Ah yes,the good old ugly AMC Matador..Man that was a weird looking car.In fact I used to hate them.And that was because my father drove a split pea greenish color one around for about 4 years.Till one day,BOOM?,the motor blew.I mean you can't deny the fact that most AMC cars were a bit odd looking,to say the least..(Of course the Pacer,the Pacer wagon,the Gremlin,and again the Matador).However now to me,they are some of the coolest cars out there.They are still odd looking,but I love them.Anyway,good luck on the build.I look forward to seeing the finished build.  

Thanks Brian. I saw my first Matador in 1974 at the age of 10 and immediately fell in love with it. Maybe being 10 years old had something to do with that ;).

I also have a Pacer kit. While standing in line at the checkout counter of my LHS with the Pacer kit, one of the employees there commented on my selection, "A Pacer?!"

I replied, "Yeah, a Pacer."

"Why would you get a Pacer, did you used to own one?" He asked with a slight air of derision.

"No, I just like the orphans, the oddballs. You know."

He still wasn't convinced of the wisdom of my selection. "But... a Pacer?"

"Well, you know, I could put it back."

With that, he saw that the path that this conversation was taking was in conflict with his goals as an employee and he decided to change his tack, "Naw, it's cool man."

As I got ready to complete my purchase, I glanced up at the cashier and noticed that she was glaring at him. I smiled at her to let her know that all was well and bought my Pacer.

David G.

Oh yea,I forgot all about the Hornet.Another cool car from the boys @ AMC.Especially the Hornet 360.I found this rare gem at a car show this past weekend.A rotisserie restored 70 AMC Machine.The only ones I've ever seen,are the well know red,white,& blue "Rebel"Machine.Never did see one in any other colors.Very nice car,

image.jpeg

Hey sorry,I got off the subject of you building your AMC Matador.I just really like AMC cars.First car I ever drove,was my mother's 72 Ambassador BIG &@%# station wagon/W a 390.The car was pretty cool.How about a pro street Matador?Ha ha

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It is uplifting to see an AMC subject...any AMC subject because they are so seldom built. By the way who released this one I thought the lion share of AMC`s were issued by the now defunct Jo-Han models.

Good luck with your build.

Thank you Greg. It's an AMT original 1977 release.

David G.

Hey sorry,I got off the subject of you building your AMC Matador.I just really like AMC cars.First car I ever drove,was my mother's 72 Ambassador BIG &@%# station wagon/W a 390.The car was pretty cool.How about a pro street Matador?Ha ha

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks great Brian but pro street is not really my thing.

David G.

Time for a little update.

The chassis masked and painted with oxide primer, semi-gloss black and aluminum plate paint.

77Matador08_12.jpg.2750a52b376ac8be83e7ca3af33b7708.jpg

This is why we test fit. When mounted in the proper position on the chassis, the front end of the exhaust pipe fails to meet the manifold.

77Matador13_12.jpg.2f0cfa15de7f57203444a9b9cb6127d8.jpg

One way to fix this is to add material behind the original bend then fill and file to fit.
77Matador14_12.jpg.d0678ffcedf989d224b87d6cc1e30723.jpg

After getting the manifold end of the pipe in the correct location, I needed to attach the cross-over pipe. I pinned it by drilling a hole through the pipe into the cross-over with an index drill bit (#75 I think) and inserting a wire to hold them together. The wire helps them stay together after the glue dries. I also decided to change the location of the cat along the exhaust system. The slot I'm filling in was there to clear the transmission support cross member which placed the cat right next to the transmission oil pan- bad location.
77Matador15_12.jpg.66a5e0b682a044bf13a1f3a7bac7992d.jpg

The left side pipe now meets the manifold properly and I've attached and pinned the right side cross-over.
77Matador16_12.jpg.ddeb90d7245c75bd787ddcd563b7f457.jpg

Weathering the completed exhaust and chassis with pastels.
77Matador18_12.jpg.d13c962bb37c69bca87cc29759b3935e.jpg

As always, thanks for looking and feel free to share your opinions.

David G.
Edited by David G.
Photo Update

Finally, I have some time to post a few more photos.

Stripping the kit chrome and preparing to replace with Alclad.

77Matador10_12.jpg.7cca68c14e90aab7d9a537453047845b.jpg

The trickiest part of the process is achieving the flawless gloss black undercoat.

77Matador11_12.jpg.fb6dbd2deca30fd73e8c2176594cd576.jpg

The chrome is re-chromed and ready for additional detailing.

77Matador12_12.jpg.e46cc8dd34e085626c7809e49b2b9835.jpg

Wheels!

77Matador17_12.jpg.f1767bacdb00e1a2e27eef2aac7ec464.jpg

As always, thanks for looking and feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photo Update

That looks super clean!! I need to get started on my Matador. Will oven cleaner get the clear undercoating under the kit chrome off the plastic too?

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.  Oven cleaner might work but I use Castrol Super Clean. Affectionately known also as "the purple pond". It's available at most auto parts stores.

Thanks again,

David G.

• David G. changed the title to 77 AMC Matador: WIP (Photos Restored)