Model Cars Magazine Forum

'27 T Roadster - Retro Drag: Updated 8-29-16

Dennis Lacy

About a month ago I started a thread showing a '25 T tall coupe that I had randomly started: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/105906-25-tall-t-show-go/

I got to playing around with it some more and decided to re purpose the basic chassis from it. I changed the Chevy engine to the 1st generation Chrysler Hemi from Revell's Slingster dragster but will be using a 6-carb log manifold instead of that kits fuel injection or super charger options. Since the Chevy was also from the Slingster the front engine mounts still worked and so did the early Ford 3-speed trans. The front axle and hairpins are modified Revell '32 Ford. The front wheels and tires are from the Slingster, rear wheels and slicks are from the recent Monogram Blue Bandito '29 truck retro reissue. '27 Roadster body is from Altered States and is a much improved version of the T roadster body that has been offered by several other resin casters over the years. Track nose is from Revell's Kurtis Midget's. 

The idea behind this is a mid-50's dragstrip roadster that has just evolved into a track-only car in an effort to be competative, having its hopped up flathead replaced by an early Chrysler and it's steelie wheels with caps & rings replaced with America mags & race tires.

photo-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photo1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photo1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 1

I'm assuming that's a suicide front end hiding under that nose? How did you lower the rear?

I'm also working on a T on the Revell A frame. Similar body to use, but it's the streamlined one from JF. I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'll post some pics soon

Love the stance on yours Dennis. I'm sure it will be a knockout when complete.

Dennis...that is sweet!  Great work so far.  I guess I better check out that Altered States body as I really like '27 T Turtledecks, but every resin version I've seen (other than Randy Frost's Perry's Resin version, which is setup for use as an Altered) is lacking in one or another way.  But boy, your stance, the parts you're using.....brilliant!   TIM 

...  I guess I better check out that Altered States body as I really like '27 T Turtledecks...

Tim, I think that these are the best ones out there. Available either with a plain deck or louvered like this one, the casting is thin, smooth and strong with nice cowl and firewall detail. While, officially, the plain deck version is part of a very nice model based on the old Gratiot Auto Supply rear engine drag car,  Chuck will sell you the main body alone if you ask. Also, FYI, AS has a plain tonneau cover available for it that fits perfectly and can be readily cut to suit whatever you're doing with it. Again, it's new and not listed, so you have to ask... I'm planning a SpeedSport style drag car, using the louvered deck and the plain tonneau, for sometime this winter.

Tim, I think that these are the best ones out there. Available either with a plain deck or louvered like this one, the casting is thin, smooth and strong with nice cowl and firewall detail. While, officially, the plain deck version is part of a very nice model based on the old Gratiot Auto Supply rear engine drag car,  Chuck will sell you the main body alone if you ask. Also, FYI, AS has a plain tonneau cover available for it that fits perfectly and can be readily cut to suit whatever you're doing with it. Again, it's new and not listed, so you have to ask... I'm planning a SpeedSport style drag car, using the louvered deck and the plain tonneau, for sometime this winter.

Thanks Bernard...I am going to order one now.  Cheers...TIM

Thanks for all of the interest, guys! I've had this T body for a little bit now and have been itching to make it into something. It's been a wicked busy week but I'm really hoping to get some quality seat time at my work bench this Sunday.  

I'm assuming that's a suicide front end hiding under that nose? How did you lower the rear?

I'm also working on a T on the Revell A frame. Similar body to use, but it's the streamlined one from JF. I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'll post some pics soon

Love the stance on yours Dennis. I'm sure it will be a knockout when complete.

The frame is a modified AMT '25 T hot rod frame which has a suicide perch up front and is Zee'd out back. I doubled the height of the front perch and Zee'd it some more the thickness of the back frame rails. 

Hosted on Fotki

B)

Work continues on my T Retro Drag...

Today I made tabs on the frame and fitted the roll hoop, forward down bars, steering gear and seat from AMT's recently reissued parts pack Competition Roadster body kit. I changed the rectangle clutch pedal pad to a round bullseye pad. I mounted a Moon gas pedal and hand operated master cylinder from AMT's Double Dragster. The floor pan was cut down from the one in Revell's Orange Crate '32 Sedan. It still needs just a slight tweaking to fit perfect at the rear edge but it nearly matches the shape of the frame as-is. The "interior" is going to be very spartan, just the bare necessities with none of the components dependent on the body being in place. I also made a firewall from .040" styrene sheet and cut notches into the wheel wells to clear the axle tubes and spring. The new mock up pictures show the car up on all four wheels for the first time, too.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

B)

Darn it, I just drooled all over my iPad. 

Wow! Love the new mods.

Hand-operated master cylinder...that's a new one to me. Will have to put it on my "things to research" list.

Thanks, guys. Glad you're both diggin' it!

Hand operated master cylinder is very common on 50's and 60's drag cars like this and rails with rear brakes only.

B)