Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question on this Petty Monte Carlo color combo

Plasticfanatic

I am doing my Petty Monte Carlo race car and come across this picture, it looks like the Kyle Petty color combination used on his M.C. instead of the Richard Petty usual one, my question is, did Richard Petty raced this color configuration also? If he did...even for one race...I would do my model in this version, like it very much. Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

Pretty sure that's a Petty tribute car and not a vintage photo.  I was working in and around NASCAR at the time and never saw the flipped paint scheme. Kyle did run a flipped scheme on the #42 at times.......but the #43 never did.  This is a recent photo as 'Craftsman truck series' and 'Goodyear Eagle' are not 70's for sure. A cool car.....but not a authentic vintage racer IMHO. 

I wish Randys site was up.....know the answer is there!!!!!

It just seems there are too many odd things to make it real Petty Ent car. 

Look at vintage pics......Petty cars were very 'clean' (minus decals) around the #43 and C pillar. And the modern tires are odd. 

I can't say 100% either way! 

PETTYR1.jpg

The Eagle tires were starting to show up around 80-81.  

Riverside, early 1981.

$T2eC16NHJIYE9qUcM8BHBQyRj,75!Q~~60_1.JP

The hats and jackets have an 80's vibe to them, too. 

But the black wheels look out of place for the early 80's and I'm pretty sure Unocal 76 sponsored the pit crew contest back then.  I'd be willing to bet it's a car used in Richard's farewell tour in '92.  

Riverside, early 1981.

$T2eC16NHJIYE9qUcM8BHBQyRj,75!Q~~60_1.JP

But the black wheels look out of place for the early 80's and I'm pretty sure Unocal 76 sponsored the pit crew contest back then.  I'd be willing to bet it's a car used in Richard's farewell tour in '92.  

It's a real mix up for sure!

Thanks guys for the help, greatly appreciated. The original photo caption tittle in the internet said "Petty Ontario Speedway 1980", but as noted by all of you, is probable a tribute car or even a Kyle Petty car with the change in driver number in some vintage racing event. This was the only photo I could find of this car/color combination with the King #43, all other photos are with Kyle #42.

I must admit that for this particular race car, the Monte Carlo, the flip color combination look very striking. Once more thanks for the help, will do my R.Petty M.C. in his regular race colors.

Veezee/Vernon,

THANK YOU A MILLION!!!! greatly appreciate the info and the great photos of the car. As an interesting point, Powerslide/Mike Decals have realesed the "Petty Daytona 1979" decal sheet which include all decals to do this Ontario race car, it include the elusive trunk sponsor decal. Once more thanks to ALL for your kind help, now  I go with the original plan and do my model in the Ontario color configuration.

• 6 years later...
On 10/15/2015 at 12:26 PM, Brett Barrow said:

Riverside, early 1981.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTMzMVgxNjAw/%24T2eC16NHJIYE9qUcM8BHBQyRj,75!Q~~60_1.JPG

I used to work for Union Oil Company in '69 and early '70's. This was a time when Union was Taking over Pure Oil in the east. I worked at the distribution center in Colton Ca. and would help at Riverside and Onterio Raceways with the fuel. Union became the main fuel sponsor for the series as well as the pit crew activities. Don't know if that will help you with the time line of the sponsorship.     

I would bet this was one of Kyle's cars that Richard had to use for some reason. If you have the book "The Cars of the King", in the chapter on the 1981 Regals, you can see he used one of Kyle's Buicks. During that time frame, Richard had trouble with wheels busting, so maybe he was trying something new.