Model Cars Magazine Forum

Speed Shop Dio

Tyler62990

So here's the garage/speed shop dio I've been cranking on for the last 5 months. I just signed up for the forum about a week ago so I'll just post everything I have, from beginning to where I'm at now. 

I started with a garage kit that was given to me after a friend gave up on it and went from there.

To start, I cut some scrap plywood to size to fit the shelf it will be displayed on which was then painted flat black. I masked off where the base of the garage would be and sprayed the surface with Rustoleum Multi-color Textured paint which turns out is pretty much asphalt in a can.

When the "asphalt" dried, I went on to make an area for a junked 34 Ford pickup I'm currently finishing. It started with a quick coat of burnt umber acrylic paint, followed by a mix of flour, water, fine sand, brown and black paint, and Realistic Water to simulate mud to the best of my ability. After the mud dried, some gravel, grass, brush, etc. was added. It still looked a bit bare so I raided the girlfriend's spice cabinet and made a mix of basil, oregano and thyme to make some natural ground clutter.

IMG_20150710_041240911-vi.jpg

IMG_20150710_041435868-vi.jpg

I got all of the walls painted and weathered most of the way, but doing the final mockup is proving to be a challenge. Lots of trimming had to be done to get everything to fit. I'm also trying to make the back and one of the walls on the side removable so that's making things a bit more difficult. To do this, I cut some angled plastic to make slip-in supports along the bottom.

IMG_20150802_165329502-vi.jpg

IMG_20150802_165406381-vi.jpg

I got all of the walls lined up and finished weathering them, then installed the shelves, exhaust rack, conduit, light switches and outlets. The conduit is half-round styrene, the switches and outlets are balsa wood. The shelves and exhaust rack were made from V shaped styrene and sheet styrene.

To make the back and side wall removable, I glued two styrene rods to the wall, then drilled holes in the base to make a slip-in piece. I then drilled two holes at the top and used thin wire to snug up the removable wall to the stationary one. The back won't be visible when displayed, so I'm not sure if I'm going to put any more work into it.

I did the same with the side wall, but dressed up the support rod to make it look like an electrical line/meter. The meter, don't laugh, is a Lego brick carved out with a file to fit around the rod. After a little more detailing it should look pretty decent.

IMG_20150807_184432805-vi.jpg

IMG_20150807_184456785-vi.jpg

IMG_20150807_184508395-vi.jpg

IMG_20150807_184520056-vi.jpg

There's light at the end of the tunnel! Got some wiring done and, to my surprise, didn't electrocute myself haha. Now comes the part I've been waiting for... filling her up with tools, parts and junk. This is where all those 3 in 1 kits are going to come in handy.

IMG_20150904_161203185-vi.jpg

IMG_20150904_161218861-vi (1).jpg

IMG_20150904_161309531_HDR-vi.jpg

IMG_20150904_161342875-vi.jpg

So I was bored waiting for some paint to dry, had some extra lights and couldn't leave well enough alone. I started off by building a box using some scrap wood and styrene sheet, then painted to match the roof. It's a bit big but it's the smallest I could go to accommodate the lights. I then placed a little aluminum foil around the inside, hoping that would reflect and diffuse some of the light. These little LEDs are pretty bright but in small space seemed to be more directional than I wanted. The aluminum did it's job well in a test run so I went on to the next step. The next step was wiring the lights and putting them in place. This was a mostly painless process that was only complicated by the ridiculously thick solder I was using. Despite that, 20 minutes later the lights were snug in their new home and working as they should. After screwing around with MS Word for a while, I came up with a name and design for the shop. I printed it out on photo paper, cut to size and attached it to the light box. Then I smeared some epoxy on the back, propped it up with a parts tree and went to work while it dried. I came home from work, hooked up the last remaining wires and this is the end result.

IMG_20150908_085450886-vi.jpg

IMG_20150908_100120620-vi.jpg

IMG_20150908_111010885-vi.jpg

IMG_20150908_172736077-vi.jpg

IMG_20150909_240001075_HDR-vi.jpg

Then I got some more work done, mostly just stuff to start filling up the inside. First was a quick, waiting for paint to dry project. I made some spray cans out of some leftover styrene rod I used for the wall braces. Easy enough, just paint the rod in sections (you can do them individually, I just thought they were easier to hold this way), find images of your favorite automotive products on google, crop, resize and print. Glue them on the rod, cut the cans to size and you're good to go. They could've come out better, but like I said, this was one of those on a whim things

IMG_20150928_051754586.jpg