Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Ford 29 Model A, High boy this time

joe porche

Built a channeled version already going fro the hi-boy this time.  Will also try to address the issue with the exhaust system by moving the mufflers in parrellel to the drive line and running the exhaust connector pipes under the transmission/trailing arm mounting location. wish me luck.Revell_1929_Ford_Model_A_Hi_Boy_001.thum

Revell 1929 Ford Model A Hi Boy 002.JPG

Revell 1929 Ford Model A Hi Boy 003.JPG

Revell 1929 Ford Model A Hi Boy 004.JPG

Revell 1929 Ford Model A Hi Boy 005.JPG

Revell 1929 Ford Model A Hi Boy 006.JPG

Revell 1929 Ford Model A Hi Boy 007.JPG

Revell 1929 Ford Model A Hi Boy 008.JPG

Revell 1929 Ford Model A Hi Boy 009.JPG

Revell 1929 Ford Model A Hi Boy 010.JPG

Revell 1929 Ford Model A Hi Boy 011.JPG

Revell 1929 Ford Model A Hi Boy 012.JPG

Can you clarify your exhaust system issue?  I've had no problems whatsoever with the exhaust system assembly on the three Highboy versions I've built to date.  

Thanks...TIM  

A few notes on the exhaust.  

You need to install the exhaust (mufflers back) to the floor board prior to installing that onto the chassis, as the pipes go under the rear chassis member. I would also install the exhaust tips prior to installing them to the chassis.  The instructions tell you to do it afterwards.   As you install the pipes (with the tips already glued in place) do a quick mockup to the body, which has two little indents where the exhaust should exit.

The  chrome pipe to the engine mounting points aren't that great.  I resorted to my own drill and pin method. That gave a much surer fit.  Once you have those in place, the small pipe to the exhaust that comes out of the bottom goes on pretty easy.  On the bottom of the chrome pipe, there's a hole it sits in nicely.  First insert the other end into the muffler. There is no exact fit there, it will move forward / backward as needed to accommodate the opposite end.  I don't even think I glued that end.

Following the kit instructions the muffler/glss packs are located directly above the rear trailing arms which in real life would create a mechanical bind.  Whenever the rear end of the vehicle compresses the trailing arms would come in contact with the Mufflers.  When you assemble the rear exhaust system per instructions this becomes very apparent.  Check some of the photos from some of the other 29 builds on this board and you will see.

Photos later as to the fix I attempted.

Joe

Since I'm using a Caddy engine, I think the headers from the Phantom Vickie will work, but I'll want to hook them up to the kit pipes and mufflers, so I may either move the mufflers up forward, or make shorter mufflers. Has anyone done modifications to this muffler set up?  I agree that they should not be in the way of the rear suspension.