Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Dodge Phoenix (update 5/20/16)

RancheroSteve

Starting a new one. Resin of unknown origin - a copy of the JoHan kit - bought on EBay a few years back. A very clean, thin casting - maybe almost too thin, because after sitting in the box for a couple of years, it was all warped when I pulled it out recently. After some hot water and some bending, I got it back into shape.

Trying out this wheel/tire combo (from the Black Force) - what do you think?

554 Dodge Phoenix mock up

553 Dodge Phoenix mock up

I'm thinking of painting the body red to match the wheels - maybe with a pearl white roof.

Edited by RancheroSteve

I'm liking it!

I'm not much for custom wheels, but I like these.

Much more old school looking that those homely giant chrome spokes that everyone seems to love.

My guess is that it's a Modelhaus casting.

looks pretty much exactly like the original Johan offering, minus the scripts & badging.

Personally, I love this style of wheel in a contrasting color from the body.

Maybe use the pearl white on the body?

Steve

Great to see one of these being built. I have the same kit, even though it's resin cast by my friend and I'm building mine as The Ramchargers' Super Stocker. So I'll definitely follow this one.

I think those wheels and tires don't fit to this body, though. If they were 15" with high profile tires and maybe white walls then they'd be just about perfect. But those oversized wheels just don't look right in my opinion.

But no matter what wheels and tires you'll end up using, I'll keep an eye on this. The subject sure is interesting.

I'm not usually much of a fan of ultra-modern rolling stock on older cars myself, but with the futuristic styling of the Phoenix, it kinda feels right.

Thanks for all the input - I'm now wondering about a primer or black suede finish on the body, painted insert (white or red?) and roof (white or red?). I'll be foiling the trim of course.

I just placed my order with Modelhaus for new tailights, so I'll probably wait for those to arrive before I finalize the body work, just to make sure everything fits right before painting.

The interior isn't going to be too much - it's a basic and very shallow tub (plus dashboard and steering wheel), but I can get going on that. I've got an idea or two . . .

Some ideas on paint schemes. You like red  or even a primer. On the roof as I remember there is an area that runs parallel to the drip moldings and has a chrome molding separating it from the roof top. You might think about an accent color in this area and in the body side molding that would match the interior.  The wheels are something that can really change the look of a car. A lot of Chrysler products seem to lend themselves to the early chrome Crager five spokes. I would stay with a 15" size rather than the 20" or 22" you see on everything. You could do the same thing with just some chrome wheels also.   

I say go for it Steve. That car is big enough to handle the look of those large wheels no problem.  I have one of the "Resin King" copys  to eventually do and it will definitly have 19" wheels under it.

As for color,, I'd suggest pearl white with red flake top. Dark red guts.

On the roof as I remember there is an area that runs parallel to the drip moldings and has a chrome molding separating it from the roof top.  

That's a great idea!

I had forgotten about that unique '60-'61 Mopar paint treatment.

I think it would look great in pearl white with the red top sections, wheels & interior.

I think a "Coralish" red, like 1957 Chevy "Matador Red" or '57 Chrysler "Gauguin Red" would really brighten things up!

I did this '61 Dodge some years back with the roof sections painted a contrasting color.

Steve

photo outside shots 022_zpsozxmx1or.jpg

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all the good suggestions on colors, guys. It's just out of the paint booth. After some deliberation I decided to go with:

689 Dodge Phoenix

Testors shiny "Revving Red" with a little Tamiya Pearl Clear on the roof and the little spear on the side; Mr. Hobby 1500 Black primer on the body. I'll wax the primer a little just to even it out. I think the black will set off the chrome trim nicely, the red will go with the wheels and will be carried over into the interior (coming soon).

690 Dodge Phoenix

I've got some BMF-ing to do!

Looks awesome Steve.

I'm not much for the "flat black" thing, but the combination is an eye catcher.

The foil on this one isn't too bad.

just the side spear/ fin trim & a few odds & ends here & there.

The worst part about foiling this vintage of car is all of the window trim! ;)

Steve