Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Lincoln Continental Hardtop Promo

Againmikewins

image.thumb.jpeg.8f6076caf3b6f93e3d326abimage.thumb.jpeg.250ed7c85277708dd7c516eimage.thumb.jpeg.099d4e9cc710e488dd404e7image.thumb.jpeg.56200ac6fa448c0654e399aI got lucky and scored one of these off eBay for a decent price. The chrome is in terrible shape and it's missing a tail light. Thankfully I've got 3 of the convertible version of this kit laying around and can get what I need for it. 

I bought this with the intention of cutting the hood out of the body to reveal the engine compartment. I'm going to completely swap the promo chassis/engine plate for one of my kit chassis. 

The more I think about this, the worse of an idea I think it is. 

What would you do?

I have done the conversion from promo to kit without many issues. Only real issue I ran into was the body of the promo is thicker usually and I had some fitment issues. extra trimming, sanding, fitting. Well, long story short, now I just try to be sure my finish and detail is better than some other builds so they stand out a bit and leave them as promo style.

I have done the conversion from promo to kit without many issues. Only real issue I ran into was the body of the promo is thicker usually and I had some fitment issues. extra trimming, sanding, fitting. Well, long story short, now I just try to be sure my finish and detail is better than some other builds so they stand out a bit and leave them as promo style.

I guess I agree.

Nothing wrong with a nice curbside build.

I do a lot of them.

Steve

You have a very nice looking Promo that you might want to think about preserving. I understand your desire to have a model with an engine and chassis detail. If it fits your budget and if you can find one, AMT had a Continental kit that has a chassis and engine and even offered an option of a wagon conversion. I know they are still out there as I see them at swap meets every year. Either way you have a Promo that is in better condition than you would usually find.  

It's probably less work than what I'm doing - transplanting a good roof from a damaged '64 sedan body onto a '65 convertible; but it will be a challenge to cut that hood open cleanly (I'd use a the tip of an X-acto blade to deepen the groove a little, then a photoetch saw) and hinge it properly so it doesn't bang into the hood ornament.