Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped/sectioned 39 Ford coupe

Ferbz

I started this AMT 40 Ford coupe as a temporary distraction from a previous paint project that blew up on me. Any of you do that kind of "therapy"? I'll save that for another post....stay tuned. 

I started researching 1:1 chopped and sectioned 39/40 Fords and discovered there were quite a few notable 1:1 cars that were built over the decades. One car that really stood out was Doug Rice's 39 Ford. Pretty cool history on that car if you want to look it up!

Who knows how far this project will go but it was fun getting it to this stage. The top is chopped with the A pillars angled back slightly. I want to try scratch building 39 Ford front window trim which will make the windshield opening appear a bit smaller(I'd appreciate any advice on this on how to do this by the way)The body is sectioned and temporarily taped together for test fitting here. I sectioned a 39 hood but may have to redo it since the section job I did is a little off and no longer sits quite right. The 40 grill will be cut out and replaced with a 39. The fenders are widened similar to Rice's car and the running boards have been cut away. My intention was to build a curbside out of this but I may have to build a hopped up period detailed flathead for this car. It would look right at home in it, no?      

Ford39a.jpg

Ford39b.jpg

Looking good! Here's how I did a windshield frame for a 36 Ford.

After cleaning up the opening, I added a .015" styrene lip on the inside of the it.36_ford_windshield-1.thumb.jpg.7881c278f

I traced the shape of the opening onto a piece of paper & transferred that to a piece of .015" styrene sheet. I kept sanding the edges until the fit was tight, but did not bind or bend the sheet. I then built a frame around it on the backside using .020" x .060" strip.36_ford_windshield-2.thumb.jpg.d120bad6c

Using dividers, I scribed, following the outer edge, making the outline that would later be cut out.36_ford_windshield-3.thumb.jpg.1883b6f9a

I used a motor tool to grind out the middle portion of the sheet.36_ford_windshield-4.thumb.jpg.d793ee582

Then, cleaned it up with files & sanding

36_ford_windshield-5.thumb.jpg.30e20e6dc

I cut a piece of .010" clear PVC sheet to fit in the opening as "glass".

36_ford_windshield-6.thumb.jpg.54f15d615

I got the idea to do this from Rik Hoving. Go to this link & scroll to pic 108. http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/model_cars/projects/40_ford_project/page2.html

Edited by sbk

Youhave some really nice lines going on there, but after doing a few forties, I've found that you get cleaner lines and it's much easier if you take the wanted section OFF the bottom of the body, and the tops of the rear fender opening, and the front fender clearance at the front door edge area, and by trimming the hood side bulge off then reattaching after you take the required cut off the side to match up the belt lines and rear edges will require recutting to fit the cowl area. But that's just my way of doing it, I got the idea to do it this way after following an article in Street Rodder Magazine, and that's how they did the full size car.

This might clarify the method better for you. The easiest way to do this is just trace the outline of the rear fender are of the body, and the rear edge of the front fender clearance area onto pieces of plastic, or stiff card and just put those cut out pieces against the body, raise them up the amount you removed from the bottom of the body, trace the outline onto the body and trim the openings on the lines, your body should just slide right into place on the fenders now, and requires no body work to finish off.

I discovered this easy method by following an article in Street Rodder Magazine where they did a full size car this way. (Basically, a little harder in steel, but the same basic idea).

Edited by horsepower
Clarification

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to keep you updated on this build as I go. As I mentioned, it got started to distract me from my other project which happens to be further along. I'll be posting that one soon. In both cases, please be patient as I'm a really slow builder :)

Thanks horsepower! I've heard that technique referred to as a 'cheater section' where essentially the section is trimmed from the bottom of the body and the fenders are raised up. I considered doing that but opted for the conventional technique. The section worked out fine except for the hood. Unfortunately it was my only AMT 39 hood but I have a Revell 39 hood I may try to replace it with.

• 8 months later...