Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aryton Senna’s Go Kart

Scale-Master

This is a Fujimi kit of Aryton Senna’s cart (according to the box) circa 1981.  It is 1/20 scale probably to go with other 1/20 scale F1 models.  (Sure would be nice if it were 1/12…)

The kit apparently was molded to allow for other versions including one with some fairings.  Instructions show to cut off the mounting pins from the frame... 

Well, most of them, as I found out after painting…  (Nothing that wasn’t easily touched up.)  I added the three seat supports to the frame before shooting it with Tamiya Bright Red.

I've never seen one built either...

The tires were not true, especially the fronts.  But the center holes for the rims were uniform.

I reshaped and trued them on the lathe using the rim holes as the mounting points.

I was disappointed that the nicely printed Dunlop tire side wall lettering was not backed in white so they were useless over black tires.  Fortunately I had a set of yellow Dunlop decals I already made for a Hot Wheels project handy, and they were only a tiny bit undersized compared to the kit ones.  Better than nothing…

Mark,

This is very cool. I'm glad you're building this and sharing it. I have one of these Fujimi kits too, just not the Senna version, that I want to paint up like my own karts were.

I'm not sure what level of accuracy you're going for, but one note is that the strap under the seat with the center hole in it doesn't exist in a real kart. Since you made some really nice and accurate seat posts, you could remove it and still be able to mount the seat. 

The wheels look awesome.

Art

Edited by Art Laski

Thanks Carl, I like to enjoy what I'm working on...

The engine and seat were mounted to the frame.  I am noticing more and more that the kit is a bit simplistic and lacking in some details.  While it would make for a much better piece if it were detailed more, I’m too far in to address most of what is missing.  I’ll definitely just build it OOB as originally planned.

The wheels were a very tight fit onto the axle and I didn’t think they would seat all the way on so I opened up the holes in the rear wheels with a drill bit by hand so they would slide on.

I still need to put the steering wheel on it, but that will wait until I get more work done on the figure.