Model Cars Magazine Forum

34 Lindberg gluebomb rebuild

So for my return to the hobby, I finished a decent looking channeled 32 roadster.

Next up was to see what I could accomplish with possibly the worst gluebomb in my parts box. I believe it to have started at a Lindberg 34 Ford, but maybe not. I originally got this kit in the late 70's maybe early 80's. Anyways, it looked terrible. I got the hood carved off of it and the floor removed. Still have not got one of the seats off the floor. The visor area of the cab was a disaster, with the visor completely missing and the windshield frame extremely cut on. I had to improvise a lot to get a windshield shape back, and forgo the visor. There is still visible glue(lots of it) on the interior cab back that can be seen in the picture. No idea why a glue tube was ever near this area, but I'm the one that did it as a child. Once I got the body reasonably cleaned up, I could not envision what to actually build with it, so I chopped the top. Now I have ideas of what to build. I also made a styrene firewall that I mounted to the backside of the firewall, probably need to add some detail to it. Also have a new styrene floor started and a set of parts box seats picked out. I do not have the bed to this kit, so it is getting some kind of exposed fuel tank over the frame rails. Have a tank built, but not sure i am happy with it.

Then the frame, I had a few stock style frames I could use from Lindberg and AMT, along with some suspension pieces. But none of those frames allowed the ride height I was imagining. So, here is my first attempt at a scratch built frame, with some suspension parts from(I think) a AMT 32 Vicky. 

Here is one picture to give an idea of where this built is headed, not sure exactly what wheel I will end up with, but I know the tire height, so that allowed be to build suspension mounts. I'm not sure what motor it will get yet, but I have several parts box specials that would fit the build. 

Edited by 68shortfleet

Little more progress, made motor and trans mounts, squirted the frame flat black. and for some reason I don't like it anymore. Maybe this one is supposed to be white?

Stole the Hemi from the other gluebomb rebuild on my bench. I built generic motor mounts that fit all the generic motors that came in the AMT 32 Ford kits for years. They will work for this build. Certainly more detailed offerings out there, but I don't need that for this build.

Threw on some generic wheels/tires, pretty sure these won't be staying though. 

20151026_201728_zpsulr2zrho.jpg

Edited by 68shortfleet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally had a "vision" for tail lights on this old 34. 

The red lense is a piece of red sprue from my 41 Willy's build. The sprue was extremely close to 1/8" after i scrapped the mold line off of it. Well, 1/8" fits perfecetly in the chuck of my Dremel. So I used the Dremel like a lathe to make a couple of "bullet" shaped lights. I glued them to some 1/8" round evergreen styrene and made an angled bracket that is similar to the brackets I made for the headlights with a couple of speed holes in each.

20151227_195848_zpsc0wu3gcf.jpg

Still lacking any "vision" for an acceptable license bracket. Maybe someday.

Edited by 68shortfleet