Model Cars Magazine Forum

Living room light/ DISPLAY CASE

lol Ive got a 5 foot by 3 foot display cabinet in the living room that is all 62-65 Nova stuff, models, hot wheels 1/18 etc., between the living and dining room I have a 6 foot tall chine cabinet full of Vintage 68-70 Redline hot wheels, and in the dining room I have a short, longer display case full of 88-98 GM truck Promos. GF doesnt mind much, she knows it makes me happy to display stuff.

My wife has no problem with me displaying my builds either, just as long as they're in their "designated area". :)

Most of mine are in individual cases stacked a couple high on a 14 foot long window ledge in my basement bar area.

But it's quickly filling up & a few of these wall mounted cases would be terrific for adding a ton of display space.

If all else fails, these are available from Amazon for $169.00 each.

Not near as nice, but they would do in a pinch.

Steve 

41aogMEt7TL.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

What I want to know is where you got the cases?

I need about a half dozen of those myself!!

Steve

i got them from IKEA. It's really for dvd's. But i just add extra shelves... Just and just... A lot of work went in to these. All the led lighting is from my local hardware store. The transformer that came with the led's was only powerfull enough to power 7 bars. So i have also built in a bigger transformer. All the mirrors has been cut by a glazier. And all the (story plates) the plates that cover all the wireing is also cut in my local hardware store. As are the signs on top 

i got them from IKEA. It's really for dvd's. But i just add extra shelves... Just and just... A lot of work went in to these. All the led lighting is from my local hardware store. The transformer that came with the led's was only powerfull enough to power 7 bars. So i have also built in a bigger transformer. All the mirrors has been cut by a glazier. And all the (story plates) the plates that cover all the wireing is also cut in my local hardware store. As are the signs on top 

Do you happen to remember the name on those?

I looked at the Ikea website under "DVD/ CD racks" & am not seeing that particular model.

I would probably skip the mirrors & might do something with some rope lighting, bit just the low profile case with a lot of shelves & glass front would be good enough for me.

I'll keep looking, but any more info would be great!

Thanks!

Steve

Do you happen to remember the name on those?

I looked at the Ikea website under "DVD/ CD racks" & am not seeing that particular model.

I would probably skip the mirrors & might do something with some rope lighting, bit just the low profile case with a lot of shelves & glass front would be good enough for me.

I'll keep looking, but any more info would be great!

Thanks!

Steve

Im am pretty sure thats the name is Bertyby by ikea.

We have lots of illuminated glass cabinets in our living and dining rooms, and they're all full of crystal and china.  If I had any of my cars upstairs they'd get all busted up anyway.  It's bad enough when the twenty-somethings frequenting the premises lately make it down to my man-cave.  Funny that the young people don't paw all that glass that's on display and break that...

PB.

Im am pretty sure thats the name is Bertyby by ikea.

Well, I've been looking pretty much every where & it seems that these cabinets are no longer made & supposedly hard to find.

Probably because the modelers & diecast collectors are buying them up.

I found several different sites with recall information, so I'm assuming that could be part of the reason that we can't get them anymore.

What a bummer!

They look like just the ticket.

Steve

Well, I've been looking pretty much every where & it seems that these cabinets are no longer made & supposedly hard to find.

Probably because the modelers & diecast collectors are buying them up.

I found several different sites with recall information, so I'm assuming that could be part of the reason that we can't get them anymore.

What a bummer!

They look like just the ticket.

Steve

Yes, they were discontinued by Ikea while ago.

There are forums out there that pertain to creative use of Ikea cabinets/display cases with additional shelving, lighting, etc, perhaps you could find Bertby cabinets in their For Sale section.

I like the Detolf cases...easy to add extra glass shelves and only $65 per cabinet.

The cases would look great recessed in the wall like a medicine cabinet is. 

That's what I would have done with them.

Being an ex-drywaller by trade, it would have been right up my alley.

& if done correctly, may have even been a selling point for the house.

Who doesn't love built in cabinets! ;)

Steve

I solved the wife problem.

I don't have one. :P Sounds like a few of you guys either need to trade in, or, unless she makes a substantially larger amount, reminds her who pays the bills. 

I share the house with my father, who builds airplanes, and we're both looking at some improved display solutions for planes, trains and automobiles. 

These wouldn't be a bad start. If you like some of the Ikea products, check out the Billy book-cases. Used with glass doors and no-heat LED lighting, they'd make dandy display cases. We actually have a couple of them being used like that right now, and they work well for his cameras, our various bits of Masonic regalia, and some of our antique and vintage books. 

I can't remember what they're called, but they also make these really nice glass-walled steel cabinets that have a design motif not unlike an early refrigerator. They're a bit much for my budget (around $200,) but they looks great.

Lastly, don't forget that building a set of built-in shelves in a case isn't that tough. A simple Danish-modern case can be built with two sheets of birch plywood, iron-on banding, and some Minwax Golden Oak or similar color stain. Other styles can be achieved with some Internet research and a little planning.

Charlie Larkin