Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Plymouth Roadrunner COMPLETE 2-19-2017

426-Hemi

So with the engine in place........

I had my work cut out for me, the whole engine has A LOT of wires going to and from it. Alternator wires, to the coil, and onto the surrounding places. I also got the windshield wiper "sprayer" tank, in place, painted one color as I had to go back and paint the cap. Then the little hose from it to the wipers themself in place with there rightful "mounts". I had decided to run the alternator wire (blue one) to the coil and then onto the firewall. The other wire from the alternator runs onto the inner fender well to the core support and across to the battery side and through it again. This then goes to the battery terminal. (NOT in place yet)
Master cylinder in place, and has its brake lines in place running to the valve manifold below (seen in other posts of the build) and yes........ they ARE connected!

Not that it should be here from the factory, BUT I couldn't get much more to go across the firewall with the way my hands are, so here is the battery wire from the alternator going through the radiator core support to run across it, to the other side, near the battery and through it again. -Left "loose" as it needs to go to the battery once in place, and then a second wire off that same battery terminal to the firewall electrical details.

More of a shot of that side of the engine compartment.

Battery painted, and in place, the wires spoken about in place on it as well.

Wiper sprayer tank with "cap" painted! A few other small details seen here too!

Alternator wire (black) seen with the horn wire (blue) running to the battery side of the car, to then go to there rightful places, (horn wire directly into the firewall)

Something to note here, the Alternator! It was a chrome part that I dipped into Dullcote to get that look, and once dry, applied "copper" color paint to the openings that a real one would have to show the copper wire "windings" in side seen through those openings, which are meant for cooling of it when running.
Engine compartment is now Complete, (I may go back and have a look at a detailing part thats just not quite right, BUT will see what I can do about it. Thanks guys!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

LOL Thanks Dale...... I tell ya, you think this ones "full" wait!!!!! I got a 2007 Dodge Charger Super Bee, that its gonna be even worse! Think about it, new car, 6.1L Hemi, ALL the wires, and hoses to and from, and all that extra BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH they put on 'em now for electronics and controls........ AND I'm gonna CHANGE the engine! (The one with the kit, DOES NOT fit my liking to an engine bay......) -Ought to prove a FULL engine compartment!

Sadly, Dale, I got more to add to this one! Air cleaner is missing, (Detail revamp on the wiper motor) And possibly a hood prop....to hold the hood up when opened, and to operate, be "down" out of the way, when the hoods closed, and remain on the model! -'Runners didn't have them, BUT, its nice to have a hood prop built right into the model for displaying purposes!

Well having the engine in place, to stay, makes for doing the remaining exhaust follow up the build on the frame. SO, without delay, lets get right into it......

I have to say now, I did NOT get good pictures of this as it was happening, so..... They are lacking in detail as I went along. BUT here you see, one in place, mounted and painted Testors steel. THEN across from it, you see a "gold-ish" colored pipe, that will have the same thing done to it for painting it steel. At the first frame cross-member off the engine you can see my exhaust pipe "joint" WITH a black hanger! I made ALL of the pipe work for the exhaust from aluminum wire. The only kit supplied part, is the mufflers!

Both pipes match......

A view to where they go and meet up with the engines exhaust manifolds. This was a fun task to get the pipe to fit each side differently, PLUS doing it, with the condition of my hands, (bending pliers is all I was able to use) where I would have used them, a vice, and all sorts of other shaping tools in my shop BUT I was unable to operate the rest of the tools correctly so the pliers is all I had to use, and was able to use somewhat comfortably.....
ALSO notice, the tires, rims are in place, both on the front AND the rear! I got them in place as well! The front tires were added with the spindles/axle mounts "steerable" so once the tires and rims were on, I could position them however I wanted..... PLUS, allowing them to steer helped aid me in getting the brake lines and fittings in place on either side if they had been "glued" it would not have been easy..... Not with my hands anyway, had my hands been in regular shape/condition, I wouldn't have had any issues with that.

Going out the back. I'll say here, the exhaust tips, will be THEE LAST part added, as the exhaust pipe has been left "long" for when the body goes onto the frame, and the pipes have been bent (if needed) down below the rear bumper. Till then, they will remain as you see them! Slightly long, for tweaking into place.

Frame up on all 4's...... Tires having "GOODYEAR" whited in with a white gel pen, (BOY was THAT a task) Doing the word "GOODYEAR" on 4 tires took me 3 DAYS! And on the frame they are, with the front steering turned, and all the brake lines in place on the front as well as the back. -I think it was all worth its effort I put into it!

Enjoy, More to come! This has been a difficult build due to my hands, BUT a fun one at the same time just to see what I was capable of doing, and NOT ruin, no matter how long any one thing took.... Why rush? All I had when I started, was, well..............time!
Thanks for looking!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

So, the only part of the model yet not done, or touched and the last part that I can actually do as the body paint won't be done till I feel I can. SO that means, this car will be set aside till that time comes. -Meaning, I'll either be working on existing "detailing" of frames of prior models started, OR starting something new. (I have plenty to do, so. Detailing others is what its gonna be till I try to see what I can do with my air brush.
ANYWAY, the part or area I haven't touched yet? The interior! Remember its a '68 Roadrunner, these cars had very little as far as options so...... The interior, is VERY plain!

Mostly, flat black with some highlights with semi-gloss black to stand out just a little. Seen here with different area's details painted silver chrome to justify the looks within the car!

Flat black over-all, BUT, the floor mats painted semi-gloss black to have a vinyl look to them and then the seats to reflect this as well, both front and back bench seats.

Better view to show the "sheen" differences on everything!

Plain jane dash...... REMEMBER, this car was to have a 426 Hemi in it, meaning it had a Mopar A833 transmission, as a standard 4 speed transmission. I had added the 383, with a 727 Automatic, SO, the pedals had to be changed to reflect this. Automatic, on the floor shifter was the idea.....
I haven't to date got a good picture of the completed interior, THAT will follow. (The ones I took did not turn out to be clear crisp pictures, SO......I have to get them yet to date!
SO, there will be one more posting to this build, showing the interior, AND I have yet to finish the engine (it needs its air cleaner still) BUT I'm working on that still.
ENJOY! Thanks for looking!

Edited by 426-Hemi
New Link Update

really nice build John. i have a 1:1 69 Roadrunner bench seat car and looks like the same color yours is. mine is coded r4 red. you did your homework on that engine! in 69 they changed the color of the engines to "Hemi Orange". if you need any pics, let me know.

p.s. my interior isn't quite done yet:(

Thanks gentlemen! Much appreciated!

Greg, your real Roadrunner, has the same "look" or color? I did the best I could, to get the interior to look as tho it was real. -Wasn't easy, but wasn't to difficult either. Took more thinking on how I was gonna do it (what colors and what sheens Flat, Matte, Semi-Gloss, or Gloss to get the look you see.

As for the engine, the Roadrunner 383 well...... in '68 early '69 was a special motor! The one you mentioned being Mopar Performance Orange (NOT Hemi Orange), 2 different colors was a HI-PO version, had even more differences. The heads, the piston type (higher compression) The 2 types of 383s, was a bit interesting. (I have a real 383 of my own actually) NOT in a Roadrunner but, I own one! The part of the Roadrunner 383 to the standard 383 to the HIPO 383 was head type and cam, as well as intake type, they were ALL DIFFERENT! Cam profile on the standard 383 was really mild, heads were well, had not real good flow rates, as well as having smaller valves. THEN the HIPO 383 shared the same heads as the 440, BUT the intake was vastly different. 2 barrel and 4 barrel, there were 2 known types of 4 barrel intakes for the 383, one for the Roadrunner and one for the HIPO version. (I own one of them, in a '67 pick up)

The paint a lot of times, dictated what one it was at a quick glance, Mopar Turquoise was either the standard, OR thew Roadrunner (early years '68 early '69) Late '69 to the end of the Roadrunner design of car, with the said 383 in Mopar High Performance Orange, was done till the 383 was no longer in use in the Roadrunner as the 400 had replaced it. (Mopar 400 was Mopar engine blue) The Mopar High Performance Orange, was shared between the HIPO 383 and the 440, Seen mostly on the 440 6 pack or 440 six barrel!

I've build my share of real ones both the 383 400 and 440, I've gotten my hands on 1 413, and 3 426 Wedge motors as well, as 2 426 Hemi's and countless OLD Hemi's from the 241, up to including the 392 from pre '57. AND to really get yer eye brow raised, I've done a few of the Poly head engines too! 318 to the 326!!!!!

Thanks tho! What color is your 'runner's exterior?

Greg,

NIICE car man! The R4 Red was that called Matador Red by Plymouth? As I was looking more towards the PP-1 I think it is! -Went to my Mopar forum site I am a staff member of and found this:

R4 "red" isn't even called "red" its "Barracuda Orange! -WELL isn't that confusing!

The Dick Landy 383 looks more like a 440.... LOL NOT saying it isn't a 383 but DANG man, that thing is SWEET! I wish my '67 Power Wagon "383" 4 barrel looked half that good! -I gotta ask tho, what for heads is on that thing? They're aluminum, That engine looks mean!!!!!

Hey John.

Glad your doing better , that is good to see.

Your Detailing is OUTSTANDING as always.. Everything is just Top Notch .

From the way you are going -- you should be back to  ( NORMAL ) real soon..Top Shelf work as always.. Will send a PM with more Chit - Chat  soon , have a few things around the House to do..

Keep up the good work !!

Tom

Thanks guys! Tom, look forward in hearing back.... I await the PM.

Sadly guys, please keep in mind, this model has been set aside for a time for body paint, when I'm able. I still haven't picked up the air brush to "try" but, I ought to get the body prep'd first anyway (wet sanding 1000 grit for starters), BUT I have a few small details I'm gonna attemptto make as close as I can get 'em without having to remove/destroy surrounding details. -I'll post pictures of that all too!

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

So everyone, I am only bringing this back up to top to let everyone know, I am still unable to run my air brush..... Sadly, meaning this one, has to be sat aside to a time that I can as the only way to "continue" on this model is using the air brush (I refuse, to spray it with a rattle can) so.... I'm working on "others" needing frame assembly work, so heres my next one:

This is a 3 speed wiper motor which was an option on B bodies......

Firewall_Detail_002_detail.jpg

This is the standard 2 speed wiper motor for B Bodies, both were available through all years......

Firewall_Detail_003_detail.jpg?144607848

Just thought I would correct some info for you........Also Mopars didn't use return lines until much later, just a single 5/16th supply line.

Your build is looking very nice so far.

Nick

• 2 months later...

Amazing work John, very impressive. Sorry to hear about your accident! I was wondering where you got the 383 engine? I am waiting on the 68'  RR kit myself and want to put in a 383 as well. thanks!

Mark,

Thanks! Much appreciated! The accident I'm healing from and doing better and coming up to the 2nd surgery to get the tendons working in my ring finger on my right hand. All is well tho!

As for the 383 engine, guy, I MADE IT.... I mold my own resin engine parts! PM me if your still lookin' for one, I'll set ya up!

Nice job so far, especially considering the problems with your hands. I'll look forward to some paint, whenever you are able to get back to it.

Thanks Kevin! Body paint is coming soon, I'm finally able to air brush, or so it seems, (I've been testing using it, on small things) so.... I bet this week if I get a chance, this car WILL have a red base coat on it! -Stay tuned!

Mark,

Thanks! Much appreciated! The accident I'm healing from and doing better and coming up to the 2nd surgery to get the tendons working in my ring finger on my right hand. All is well tho!

As for the 383 engine, guy, I MADE IT.... I mold my own resin engine parts! PM me if your still lookin' for one, I'll set ya up!

Glad to hear your situation is looking better! Ok excellent, I did pick up an amt 69' Barracuda kit yesterday I may steal the 383 out of but I will PM you if Im not happy with it. Thanks again!

Thanks! Yes, let me know on the 383. whats the one look like in the 'Cuda? (I'm not familiar with thats kit) so. I got a '69 'Cuda with a 426 Hemi in it so (glue bomb, rebuild)........... -I do a bit of trading too so.... just something to ponder!