Model Cars Magazine Forum

Routemaster Car Transporter

I like it!
Keep going and the devil will be in the details.
I am working on a RM myself off and on.
Painting the figures is taking longer than I thought... but a bus is worthless with out people in the seats.
IMG_3022proof-vi.jpg

Or in your case, race cars on the ramps and tools on the rack. ;-)

Edited by Jairus

Erik,

This project of yours is looking really good . I do have a question though. On the original model . Is there one or two stairways to the upper deck?

Be Well

Gator

On the original London bus there is only one stair case at the rear that curves up

Edited by Doobie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks guys for the positive response!

@Jairus; where did you got those figures from? I really like them and they look quite british, could be a nice touch to this project.

After I stopped working on this project in early march, I wanted it to finish it for the Jabbeke show in Belgium and I started to notice that I took shortcuts and did started to rush, I put it next to me and it has been there ever since. I did manage to finish the Turbine car and I am now in the middle of my engine-casting project.

As soon as I have that good on the rails; I'll start to tackle this huge project again.

But I do have a update: I bought another (the third, can you believe it?) London bus, It was partially started, so a bit cheaper. But when I saw the ad, I directly got an idea for it; I want to make a trailer for my transporter. A trailer with on the upper deck some spare parts and on the lower deck it will have a workshop/tooling area, where the side will fold open, to make it to a roof where it can be worked on dry.

It will be difficult and comprehensive, but I think it will be a nice addition.

This will give some of a idea:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, after a busy period, I was able to re-start the bus project. Last night I started a little bit with the trailer and with that still in the development-stage, I took up the transporter today and started working.

I don't much big work needs to be done, but to me, I think it is best now to finish the lower floor and go from there, that will include detailing and weathering, even before the construction work is finished; means challenge haha.

The kit I got for the trailer was partially started, therefore it has some paint on it, this is how it should be

And this is the first step; putting the saw to work

First I thought to leave the chassis like it was, letting the wheels stick out, but it looks odd and decided against it, giving me a lot more work....

Some rough idea's

The original chassis

Cut in two pieces

And shortened 65mm

Putting it on the floor

Drew the cutlines

And voila; more pieces to the puzzle

Today I started on the bus; started the weathering

Adding some furniture

Some washes

More washes

And even more washes

I also gave the furniture a worn or used look.

• 2 years later...

It's been a couple of years, but the Routemaster is back on the workbench.  I really had to dig into the project-post and the pictures to get into this complicated built again.
I think I am on the same track as where I left. Work halted last time on detailling the workplace; making a diorama is not my forté. But it had to be done before I could go further and that is why it was stopped.

But since I finished a couple of projects, I wanted to start working on this monster of a project again

I also noticed the pictures got moved on my server, this is where you can find all the pictures from this project: http://www.firerods.nl/wipgallery/routemaster-cartransporter/

[rtmct155.jpg

rtmct156.jpg

The workshop is almost finished, just needs a little bit of weathering and detailling.

rtmct157.jpg

rtmct158.jpg

rtmct159.jpg

rtmct160.jpg

rtmct161.jpg

rtmct162.jpg

rtmct163.jpg

rtmct164.jpg

I also started on working on the hydraulic cylinders for the lower ramp, these will be the first to do, when I figured this out and have them done, I can do the other cylinders as well.

rtmct165.jpg