Model Cars Magazine Forum

Still not a whole lot of progress due to "real" work getting in the way. Still hope to get some time in this weekend on this guy. But I've managed to sneak in a few moments here and there.

As much as I can, I'm adding small parts to subassemblies that will all be painted the same color. It's much easier to add all of these little odds and ends pieces now and paint as a unit than paint all the little pieces separately and then assemble. This will all be painted a dark red...

9_zpsn8crkxhe.jpg

Same deal with the wheels. These are the rears. As you can see, it'll be much easier to build the wheels first, then paint the assembled wheel as a unit, instead of painting the separate rims and separate spoke inserts, then scrape paint from all the joints, then glue together and hope to not get glue on any painted surfaces...

10_zpsjtz39u1v.jpg

And here's a little tip for you guys out there who think that this hobby can get a little pricey (and it can!)...

I bought that tiny bottle of Testors paint thinner/brush cleaner a while ago. The price on the bottle is $3.98... I'm sure that the price has gone up since I bought that bottle. Well, that tiny bottle of Testors thinner is the last one I will ever buy. When you "do the math," the price per ounce is astronomical.

Instead, I wised up and bought a quart of the same stuff at the home center for less than I paid for that little Testors bottle! The little glass jar is from Hobby Lobby... it cost a whopping 75¢. Now I can just refill the little glass jar as necessary, and wind up spending way less than constantly buying those silly little bottles of the Testors stuff at $4-5 a pop!

11_zpsyc4owmpp.jpg

I realize this isn't exactly rocket science, and that most of you are well aware of this "trick." But I'll bet there are others out there in the "why didn't I think of that?" category, so that's why I posted it. And there are many other simple, "no-brainer" ideas like this that can save you big bucks overall and keep the cost of the hobby as low as possible.

Got some work done on this one this weekend...

the kit has no headlights, so I found a suitable pair in my parts box that could be modified. First step was to fill in the open areas where "glass" was supposed to go...

12_zpsdbvnezti.jpg

I added the fronts to the lights... they are actually 1/25 scale intake stacks from a model car, with 5-minute epoxy as the "glass." I also scratchbuilt the headlight mounts, and the license plate bracket. Here is the front of the boiler with the front axle attached...

13_zpsaaaqmn44.jpg

Here is the "dashboard." There are a lot fewer parts here than you think... a lot of it is just "paint detailing" to make it look like there are more parts here than there really are. Gauges are kit decals, the "glass" over them is 5-minute epoxy...

Getting started on the main body. I got the decals in place... next step will be to black wash all of the molded-in details like the rivets, etc. Then an overall coat of flat clear, and some slight weathering like oil stains, rust streaks, etc. That's all to come...

And here's a little tip for you guys out there who think that this hobby can get a little pricey (and it can!)...

I bought that tiny bottle of Testors paint thinner/brush cleaner a while ago. The price on the bottle is $3.98... I'm sure that the price has gone up since I bought that bottle. Well, that tiny bottle of Testors thinner is the last one I will ever buy. When you "do the math," the price per ounce is astronomical.

Instead, I wised up and bought a quart of the same stuff at the home center for less than I paid for that little Testors bottle! The little glass jar is from Hobby Lobby... it cost a whopping 75¢. Now I can just refill the little glass jar as necessary, and wind up spending way less than constantly buying those silly little bottles of the Testors stuff at $4-5 a pop!

11_zpsyc4owmpp.jpg

I realize this isn't exactly rocket science, and that most of you are well aware of this "trick." But I'll bet there are others out there in the "why didn't I think of that?" category, so that's why I posted it. And there are many other simple, "no-brainer" ideas like this that can save you big bucks overall and keep the cost of the hobby as low as possible.

Lacquer thinner is even better for cleaning brushes. Just don't use it for thinning paint without testing it first. I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, the state has mostly outlawed the sale of xylene and toluene, which are the usual ingredients in lacquer thinner. They call them Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). Ironically, acetone, which is clearly a VOC is not included although extensively used for nail polish. I guess angering most of the female population was too big a step for even State of California. 

Spectacular - as usual.  Your gold details always look just right.  What brand and tone of gold do you use?

1. Rustoleum "Specialty Metallic" line of spray paint, color "Metallic Brass"

2. Testors Transparent Black Window Tint

3. Additional black wash if needed (Future + acrylic black, brushed on to the "nooks and crannies")

4. If I want a more weathered look, a final coat of Testors Dullcote.

The way this kit is engineered, "everything works." If built correctly, when you rotate the rear wheels, they are connected through the gears to the crankshaft, and everything moves (crankshaft rotates, connecting rods move, etc.)

The problem is that there are a lot of parts involved, and to get everything to work, you have to glue a lot of really tiny parts together... parts with very small glue surfaces yet that need to be strong enough not to break or snap as the drivetrain moves.

The crankshaft on this tractor was exposed to the open air. Building it was a real challenge... like I said, a lot of very small parts with very small glue surfaces that have to still slide past one another after gluing and painting. Not for beginners, for sure. This assembly is made up of about 25 or so parts, that all have to spin freely after assembly and paint...