Model Cars Magazine Forum

As we get older our sight diminishes. Moving up to 1/16th scale might be an answer. Your picks . . .

Then again you might just go for 1/20th scale or 1/12th scale, however I'm thinking about 1/16th scale right now.

What kits in 1/16th scale would you recommend ? 

What kits in 1/16th scale do you really like ?

I'm really impressed with the Minicraft 1/16th Model A's. 

There's a bunch to chose from , Pick Up, Sedan, Sedan Delivery and Roadster, most stock or Hot Rod versions.

51qHTrJrj-L._SX342_.jpg

minicraft-models-1931-ford-model-a-pickup.jpg

MMI-11240.jpg

A few of my favorites: 

-Revell 34 Ford Coupe

-MPC '63 Corvette 

-MPC Petty and Baker NASCAR Dodge Chargers

I have a few 1/16 cars in the pipeline for building. I need one of these '63 Corvettes, since I had one when I was about 11. I remember it being a really nice kit. I don't know why Round 2 wasted their time issuing the 64 Mustang Coupe, with it's weird roofline & vent windows- that kit just doesn't look right. The Corvette has a lot more detail, and if they were able to restore some of the custom parts from prior issues (supercharger & wheels), they would have a real winner. 

Also- any of the old Fujimi Ferraris in 1/16 seem to be quite nice. I had the 288 GTO and sold it off, which I now regret.

Sorry. But I have zero interest in any of the larger scale stuff. Not to mention the variety avail isn't even close to 1.25th scale  

I bought a lighted magnifier 

I feel the same way kind of Bill....but Id like to build a few I had as a kid now that I am much better at it..LOL...

Monogram 80? Trans Am 1/8th?

MPC 70? Ford van factory stock 2wd/cargo/window/ambulance versions

Large scale semi conventional semi truck

Revell 70 Chevy 4x4 pickup off road

I too prefer 1/25 but as an older builder I may have to consider your question.  It's not just eyesight but dexterity that comes into play.  I had to fabricate a mic for a CB radio yesterday and it was quite the show if anyone had been watching.  

I agree with Bill and Mark about variety.  Going to 1/16 would mean more resin kits and therefore more work.  Interesting topic.

Actually, there's not a lot in resin that's available in 1/16, or many aftermarket parts. For me, the best ones are 30s classics like Roll-Royces and Mercedes, plus newer sports classics like the Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing by Entex/Minicraft. Several muscle cars available -- it all depends on your interests. The thing about these larger kits is that they usually require adding more of your own extra detail. Take a look at all the 1/16 kits that Harry P has built and you'll see what the potential is. Not many good choices in 1/12. 

I keep a bookmark for 1/16 on eBay to see what's passing through:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Automotive-/2580/i.html?_nkw=1%2F16&_armrs=1&_from=R10&_ipg=&_pcats=1188%2C220&_sop=10

A few of my favorites: 

-Revell 34 Ford Coupe

-MPC '63 Corvette 

-MPC Petty and Baker NASCAR Dodge Chargers

I have a few 1/16 cars in the pipeline for building. I need one of these '63 Corvettes, since I had one when I was about 11. I remember it being a really nice kit. I don't know why Round 2 wasted their time issuing the 64 Mustang Coupe, with it's weird roofline & vent windows- that kit just doesn't look right. The Corvette has a lot more detail, and if they were able to restore some of the custom parts from prior issues (supercharger & wheels), they would have a real winner. 

Also- any of the old Fujimi Ferraris in 1/16 seem to be quite nice. I had the 288 GTO and sold it off, which I now regret.

182669450_1-16-mpc-rod-shop-1963-corvette-model-car-kit-quotparts-.jpg

I'm building this one. The big drawback is it's has some nice detaling on some of the kit, and not a lot of parts for the motor, and I don't have a supply of 1/16 parts to add to the kit. I did do some details like the wood firewall, dashboard with home cast resin gauges, and the floor under the driver. It will still be a nice buildup, though.

I'm not sure how seriously you are taking the eyesight issue vs using it as an ice breaker to talk about large scale kits.

I've seen this come up with other genres and scales. Scale and fading eyesight really does not work. The larger the scale, the more components are broken into smaller groups for better detail resulting in more small parts, not bigger parts. The smallest parts in a 1/72 kit are not really smaller than the smallest parts in a detailed 1/8 scale kit (individual links in a motorcycle chain are pretty tiny).

I invested in an Optivisor years ago, I have gone to the next power lense since then. Lol. But that's Ok, I refuse to give in to being older. I've got too many 1/24-25 kits to build as well as a few 1/43. Spend the extra to buy the Optivisor they have glass lenses which don't scratch like the cheaper versions which have cheaper plastic lenses.

I'm not sure how seriously you are taking the eyesight issue vs using it as an ice breaker to talk about large scale kits.

I've seen this come up with other genres and scales. Scale and fading eyesight really does not work. The larger the scale, the more components are broken into smaller groups for better detail resulting in more small parts, not bigger parts. The smallest parts in a 1/72 kit are not really smaller than the smallest parts in a detailed 1/8 scale kit (individual links in a motorcycle chain are pretty tiny).

This is true, I have built a couple of 1:72 car kits (one with photoetch parts) and they where easy to build and I finished them quickly. Not a lot of parts and not very much details.

I did own the 1:8 Monogram 82 Camaro at one point but sold it. I was not stunned with the details in the kit, in manyways it looked a bit like a up-scaled 1:25 kit so that could be easier to build with poor eyesight I think. The problem with it is that one would be tempted to add more details and that will be in smaller and more parts.

I have also seen what is in these Pocher kits and in my opinion this will require a very good set of eyes and a lot of steady handwork. Maybe snap kits is the answer to old age?

to all the members that actually answered the thread topic question....thank you.

I've been acquiring some 1/16 kits when the price is right, most of them I consider "a good place to start" since I like to add detail and upholstery.

I have most of the 1/16 scale AMT, Revell, MPC and Lindberg kits with a few of the Fujimi and Minicraft kits.

I haven't started on any of them yet due to the projects I have on the other end of the scale spectrum...but at least I won't have to pay a fortune for them later.

Ok- so maybe I won't be necessarily be migrating to 1/16 builds solely because of changing eyesight. I do think that larger scales maybe allow for greater detail. This is not to say that larger scale kits are always more detailed, but it's possible to put more visible fine detail into such a build. If I were inclined to do a super- detailed contest build, a larger scale would be tempting. 

Some 1/16 kits seem to take advantage of the fact that more detail can be granted, while others definitely do not. In the following examples, I'm only going to cite kits that I have direct ownership or build experience- there might be better examples that I don't know about. 

High detail: Fujimi Ferraris or Porsche 959, MPC NASCAR Chargers, MPC '63 Corvette: these tend to have a greater detail level than their 1/24 or 1/25 counterparts. In the case of the Fujimi kits, they have opening doors, hoods and trunks that have scale- or mostly - scale looking hinges & openings- meaning that the opening features otherwise don't detract from the realism of each subject. The Fujimi's are really probably the nicest 1/16 kits out there. The only beef I have with them at all is that perhaps the wheels and tires look a little small. The Corvette has a nice detail level, even accounting for the fact that it was tooled up in the late '60's. The doors don't open, but really every other aspect of the kit breaks down as well as or better than even your nicer 1/25 kits. The MPC Charger is probably one of the most detailed NASCAR kits ever. I would probably count the numerous Revell '70's Funny Car and Top Fuel kits in this category as well.

Moderate detail: MPC '79 Firebird, 427 Cobra, '83 Firebird, '84 Corvette - about as detailed or a little more detailed than your average 1/24 kit, but with so-so opening doors. These have some detailing potential for sure. I would put Revell's '33-'34 Fords here, too- they're about as nice as newly-tooled 1/24-1/25 kits, with that same excellent Revell scale fidelity. 

Fair detail: AMT '55-'57 Chevies, '64 Ford Mustang: these have about the same detail level as an older 1/25 tool. Think of the Chevies as being about the equivalent to AMT's old '58 Chevy tool. Really not bad kits, but when you blow them up to 1/16, the effect is that they then seem more toylike than if they were of the same detail but in 1/25. The Mustang has the added issue of that unfortunate windshield & vent window shape. 

My point is that you could add a lot of scratchbuilt details & extra wiring to any of these kits and end up with something really impressive. I think Fujimi and MPC especially looked at 1/16 as an opportunity to increase detail so that the builder was getting something of a better detail experience, while a lot of AMT's stuff was just done in 1/16 to compete in the market at that scale and price point. 

Myself, I've been to a few big contests recently and it's dawned on me that the large scale stuff really does distingush itself from all of the other common scale stuff- especially when the builder pours some extra effort into it. If I ever decide to get rid of my models, I would still be tempted to keep the big scale stuff as the only stuff I end up completing. I have a small fleet of NASCAR Chargers planned (some '71-'74's, and at least one each of: 500, Daytona, & '68 race cars), and whenever I get them done, I think they're going to be sweet. 

I want the one that can be built stock. A great kit that's not been seen in a long time.

That kit is probably better than most people know. I know at some point it was offered as a 3 in 1. The one I had is pictured below. That one was mostly stock only (I think the roll bar and extra taillights were the only build options). This kit featured separately- molded door handles, body emblems and windshield wipers, along with metal springs for the front suspension. The fuelie 327 was very nice, and everything else looked to my eyes to be correct, with a lot of engraved detail (although I am by no means a 'Vette expert). 

Round 2 really should open the gates on this one and resurrect it to it's former 3 in 1 glory, it would go really well with the NASCAR Chargers for which I am eternally grateful to them for bringing back. 

image.jpg

Does Round2 still make the 1/16 1957 Corvette?  I built one when I was younger, and I remember that being a pretty decent kit.  As far as the eyesight thing goes, I've noticed that I can't quite focus sometimes on small details.  Especially painting gauges and dashboards.  I picked up a pair of reading glasses from the pharmacy and it helps immensely.  

Other 1/16th scale kits I'd like see Round 2 bring back, are AMT's '55 and '57 Thunderbirds. Especially the '55. Since that's only '55 Thunderbird plastic kit that has been offered in my lifetime that I know of.

Another one I'd like see of a larger scale, is Monogram's Mean Maverick Funny Car. I don't remember the exact scale of that one. And I'm not a huge funny car fan. But I have very fond memories of that kit.

So, despite of storage problems, there are four larger scale kits I would not hesitate on buying. 1. MPC's 1/16th 1963 Corvette Sting Ray (but, only if it could built stock). 2. AMT's 1/16th 1955 Thunderbird. 3. AMT's 1/16th 1957 Tunderbird. 4. Mongram's Mean Maverick Funny Car. And I probably would buy AMT's large scale 1937 Cord 812 if that reappeared too. Though that one I'm a little more iffy on that one.

I do think that larger scales maybe allow for greater detail.

It sure does. Although, that greater detail still requires that one's Mk.1 eyeballs are able to properly focus while creating the aforementioned greater details. As other posters have stated, Opti-Visors or reading glasses will allow you to see your work more clearly; and, that includes 1/25 and smaller.  You won't have to sacrifice building in "smaller" scales because you don't see as well.