Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Macho Mustang

Greg K

a friend of mine gave me this kit some time ago, and recently got into it. i gotta tell ya, this is one poorly engineered model. i always go through the body parts first to test fit. the first thing i noticed was the red tail light mold wasn't complete. the wheels pictured on the box are different than what's in the box. 

029.JPG

025.JPG

027.JPG

028.JPG

026.JPG

Edited by Greg K

the photo on the box shows 5 slot mags. what came in the box was 9 slot mags. all 4 tires and wheels are the same size. also, the red tail light section was missing some injection, but had some spare to fabricate in place. then painted the body with Rustoleum "flat black".

040.JPG

030.JPG

031.JPG

032.JPG

I have several of these in different issues. I really enjoy them and with some patience, they build to a very nice kit.

The plain, racing dash only is a disappointment, but luckily I have a stock dash from the annual I will eventually resin cast.

I wish they would update the kit though, keeping the main components and doing something under the hood and chassis would be great.

Edited by Sledsel

I have several of these in different issues. I really enjoy them and with some patience, they build to a very nice kit.

The plain, racing dash only is a disappointment, but luckily I have a stock dash from the annual I will eventually resin cast.

I wish they would update the kit though, keeping the main components and doing something under the hood and chassis would be great.

yep, this kit has the racing dash too, and the racing buckets and no back seat. going to omit the roll bar and "fresh air intake". (i have a stock air cleaner to put on). as far as the body is concerned, it looks to be pretty good.

yep, this kit has the racing dash too, and the racing buckets and no back seat. going to omit the roll bar and "fresh air intake". (i have a stock air cleaner to put on). as far as the body is concerned, it looks to be pretty good.

Yup, that is it. I have the front seats from an annual also I want to cast.

For more of a stock build, the AMT/MPC 73 Cougar is a good donor for chassis and shock towers

just finished up. there is some interference with the hood and radiator support. also need to do more detail on the headlight bezels. didn't use the supplied decals, instead used some from another Mustang. (i know it's not correct). also used clear headlight lens in place of the molded in chrome ones.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

007.JPG

009.JPG

• Like 2

That kit came from an era when tooling was being cut up and modified to eliminate anything they could.......including positive locators. 

thanks Dave, didn't know the correct term. that's what made this kit a little tricky, the lack of "positive locators".

It would REALLY nice if they redid the whole chassis with inner fenders and an actual 351 Cleveland and 429CJ engine (not a 302 and 428).  As they have not made any changes to these molds in decades, I'm not holding my breath.  The Boss 351 kit was a joke - no 351 engine - just some decals.

• 6 years later...