Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any trouble with the AMT '66 Nova??

On 3/24/2020 at 11:52 PM, alexis said:

I would guess not. Round2 is getting really stingy with the tires lately. 5 or 6 years ago, even the Hopped Up version shown would have gotten 8 or 10  tires. We'll be fortunate if this one has more than 4 tires. I do not know what has changed, but something Has!

I'm guessing the budget has changed. I don't think retailers are buying as many car kits. Recall last year Hobby Lobby downsized their selection.

1 hour ago, Dave Darby said:

I'm guessing the budget has changed.

All going toward paying for the Coca-Cola licensing. :D

I do recall a pair of slicks were included with the Grumpy Jenkins reissue, but I don't think them not being included this time around is going to be a deal breaker for most people.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

All going toward paying for the Coca-Cola licensing. :D

I do recall a pair of slicks were included with the Grumpy Jenkins reissue, but I don't think them not being included this time around is going to be a deal breaker for most people.

Likely , a direct-reissue of the 1988 original --- hopefully sans the moulded-on interior rear view mirror .

49 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Likely , a direct-reissue of the 1988 original --- hopefully sans the moulded-on interior rear view mirror.

I'm pretty sure the engraved rear view mirror was eliminated a while back, but the contents will likely be much the same as the original release:

AMT66NovaSS.jpg.9204d0b0b33b4c4bab45a02329aabf3e.jpg

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I'm pretty sure the engraved rear view mirror was eliminated a while back

I know... I was just jabbin' . 

When this kit hit the shelves 32 years ago , I was in heaven ! It was one of the first post-earthquake kits I built ---- I was so peeved at that mirror ! Haha !

1 hour ago, slusher said:

I hope it has a bench seat.

It seems highly unlikely the bench seat and steel wheels will be included with this 2020 reissue, but the grumpy Jenkins version which did include those parts is still easily found on the secondary market.

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

It seems highly unlikely the bench seat and steel wheels will be included with this 2020 reissue, but the grumpy Jenkins version which did include those parts is still easily found on the secondary market.

Does Hart’s parts carry them?

Not one of my favorites to work with. I did this Nova as a commissioned body for a local slot car drag racer and all it seemed to be was misery eliminating mold lines and block sanding to try and get some semblance of smoothness out of the panels. No amount of sanding seemed to get the grille to line up in a satisfactory way, and every pass with the flexifiles meant that much less surface for glue, meaning that to make the front end sturdy enough for drag racing duty I ended up with a puddle of epoxy in each front fender. 

It's a nicely proportionate body, and the detail is quite solid, but I wouldn't build one for myself. 

20170306_213914.thumb.jpg.cab790e09664f3b21e5a1c0a6e55377b.jpg20170225_213543.thumb.jpg.997f565c45f7b9c7f443b69f3a1577db.jpg

46 minutes ago, OutaFocus said:

Did they ever fix the incomplete moulding around the rear window? The original issue only had about half of the moulding.

Molding problem? I don't remember any particular problems in that area with the first-issue I built. 

I DO have one body with a short-shot molding around the left rear wheel opening. 

13 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Molding problem? I don't remember any particular problems in that area with the first-issue I built. 

I DO have one body with a short-shot molding around the left rear wheel opening. 

I meant the moulded in window trim around the rear window. Only part of the trim was engraved in the body.

*Edit*- I just opened my Grumpy's Toy issue of the kit and, yes, the window mouldings are missing on the sides of the rear window. They are very faint on the top and bottom.

Edited by OutaFocus

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 12:39 PM, Dave Darby said:

Great looking box art, except that snorkle hood scoop looks a bit out of place on what otherwise looks like a street car.

The scoop would be right for mid to late 70's especially if the rear was jacked up sky high with N50's sticking out of the wells!LOL

Edited by OldTrucker

On 3/24/2020 at 1:43 PM, Snake45 said:

Especially with the tiny stock rear tires! :lol:  So this issue won't include slicks or at least big tires, then? 

Big tires don't fit those Novas unless they're tubbed, jacked up in back, or have the rear wheel openings cut out.  "Rolling" the fender lip might buy you one tire size, but those cars won't fit anything like an L-60 in stock form.

3 hours ago, Flynlo said:

The air cleaner interference with the hood is the only issue that I recall with the one I built years ago.

IMG_1394E.thumb.jpg.4b4e18815769ae7a6c00bdf8a1309129.jpgIMG_1397E.thumb.jpg.8edc329a9b2746343ce03a0c538183b3.jpgIMG_1395E.thumb.jpg.2bd1afd41899edde7c5456675fc8449b.jpg

That looks identical to the one I built right down to the color and the up-hood! :o  You wired your engine and I didn't, though, so you win. B)

• 8 months later...
On 3/24/2020 at 12:43 PM, Snake45 said:

So this issue won't include slicks or at least big tires, then? 

No, the most recent issue, with the red, snokel hood-scooped car on the box top, includes nothing but stock tires, presumably the same 14" Firestone skinnies which have always been included.

I'm not even sure Round has an era-appropriate  narrow slick which they could include, other than the M&H slicks included in the Grumpy's Toy version, but those are very small, and I don't recall seeing them in any other AMT nor MPC kits?:

2v2HNYfBGx6bzhT.jpg

The slicks look like someone used a generic lettering stencil to add the "Racemaster" name to the sidewalls, so, yeah, not great looking. I'm presuming the rear wheel tubs are too small and narrow to fit any wider slicks, and they also need to fit the included wheels, too, so maybe Round2's hands are tied in that regard.

I took some pics of the Grumpy Jenkins version, which can be viewed here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1540/amt-1966-chevrolet-nova-grumpys

...but wanted to add that it appears there is an increasing amount of flash on the parts, so maybe something to keep an eye one if you pick up the current release.

Edited by Casey

On 10/29/2015 at 5:15 PM, Southern Fried said:

I'm well into a build ( 3rd one attempted...none finished) and have ran into a small problem.

The chassis/engine/interior are almost finished. However, when I do a mock up, everything lines up. The axle/spindles are centered in the wells, and the radiator support is in the correct place, however, the grill seems it will be a non-fit, as if the support is too far forward???

I have done 4 of them and yes i have had the same problem with all four what i did was as everyone has said take a little of the back and test fit as you go along I also opened up the core support behind the headlights to there are many cars that have the support opened up.