Model Cars Magazine Forum

freightliner

thanks clayton ! nice catch on the revell steers, they are always my first choice for my models. I think they look much better.

this is an old model originally built in the early eighties, it has been redone several times. the paint scheme came from an original freightliner brochure I used to have.

last year I finally figured out the high headlite deal and fixed it without repainting the whole cab. i gave it it's latest update changing the rear ends, rear wheels, and tires.

i also blanked off the step well like it should be with some chrome acetate. I also discovered that rubber o rings cut to size look better than the black wire I used to use for the wheel openings.

it still needs the grabhandles for the side of the cab but I forgot where I put them.

Very nice !

What technique did you use to narrow up the front end so that the front tires fit properly inside the body ?

Aftermarket front axle ?   cut and section the kit axle ?   remove the front brake drums ?

Thanks!

I cut and sectioned the axle . amt uses a bigger tire and wheel on the freightliner, so if using smaller (revell) pay attention to the blocks on the bottom of the front springs where the axle attaches.

I usually end up shaving them down a bit to get the right sit. (I don't like a big gap between the wheel opening and the top of the tire) . test fit is a must.

hope this helps.

Edited by gino

I cut and sectioned the axle . amt uses a bigger tire and wheel on the freightliner, so if using smaller (revell) pay attention to the blocks on the bottom of the front springs where the axle attaches.

I usually end up shaving them down a bit to get the right sit. (I don't like a big gap between the wheel opening and the top of the tire) . test fit is a must.

hope this helps.

Ah-- ok.   

RE:  "cut and sectioned the axle . "

Seems to be a common practice on this kit.  So you basically cut out a section of the center of the front axle, and then glued the halves back together ?

I've seen guys here say they "pin" it when they glue it back together, and others who just glue a strip of styrene to the back of the axle at the seam to strengthen it.   

Any details or photos you could share would be greatly appreciated as I will need to do this on mine soon.

Thanks !

Ah-- ok.   

RE:  "cut and sectioned the axle . "

Seems to be a common practice on this kit.  So you basically cut out a section of the center of the front axle, and then glued the halves back together ?

I've seen guys here say they "pin" it when they glue it back together, and others who just glue a strip of styrene to the back of the axle at the seam to strengthen it.   

Any details or photos you could share would be greatly appreciated as I will need to do this on mine soon.

Thanks !

I first cut the axle in half, then removed an even amount of material on both sides til I got the look I wanted ,  then glued them together.

I then glued small pieces of styrene top and bottom front and back. I couldn't really get a good pic of this but you can see the middle and bottom pieces.

hope this helps .