Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped '37 slantback on a C5 Corvette chassis, modular Ford V8 power

Ace-Garageguy

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 9:22 AM, Claude Thibodeau said:

...Will the Vette seats fit the narrow "wells"... or will you need to fit custom units between the tunnel and your new "door sills"? Just curious...

Thanks for your interest. Actually, the frame rails as shown make the floors too narrow to accommodate the seats at the stock height. No problem though, as the '37 Ford is much taller than the Corvette. The seats can be installed as shown below, on top of the new frame rails, and the height turns out to be just right for the build. It's necessary to slightly shave the trans tunnel for side clearance.

DSCN1553.thumb.JPG.f7cfc6be1730ca74b293384308719343.JPG

With the body assembled to the frame, the seat-back headrest can be seen at the right height through the side window...

DSCN1557.thumb.JPG.6a5ca3e5f7b7acd1ea5d82e33f2c04b3.JPG

If additional clearance is required for any reason, the tunnel can be shaved more or reworked. The frame rails can also be cut down by about 1/8" and still leave enough meat to work in reality.

On 10/3/2019 at 8:04 PM, bill_67 said:

Great work, love resto mods, builds like this get me inspired. Thank you for posting!

On 10/5/2019 at 5:08 AM, Cpt Tuttle said:

Thread is 4 years old but recently lifted...any progress?

Thanks for your interest. There's been a little progress re: fitting the seats and finishing up the chassis splice and fitting suspension.

DSCN1552.thumb.JPG.31bf3a43efddc14616259d54eb85100c.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I like where this is going Bill, especially considering that I have tried in the past to pull off something like this and the results were not encouraging.  I've got a thirty sumptin' year old Willys/Citation rear engine transverse V6 project lurking somewhere in a UFO box - still a ways from seeing daylight again!

I especially like the way you used the white styrene frame rails to tie everything back together.

Knowing your open mind on design elements, have you considered opening up the windshield opening just a tad?  It would make it a lot nicer to drive  and would get rid of the bulbous "receding hairline" forehead look above the windshield.  Or not.  It is certainly a slick chop but I reckon you could still tweak it a little towards perfection.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton

20 hours ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

I sure have interest, I wouldn't have thought that it was possible to pull off a chop looking this good on a 37 Slantback but the shape is absolutely beautiful now.

Thank you sir.  :D

15 hours ago, alan barton said:

... I especially like the way you used the white styrene frame rails to tie everything back together.

....Knowing your open mind on design elements, have you considered opening up the windshield opening just a tad?  It would make it a lot nicer to drive  and would get rid of the bulbous "receding hairline" forehead look above the windshield.

Thanks for your interest and thoughtful comments too.

Now, a few years later, I see how I could have made the frame rails less intrusive but still functional if the thing was full-size. I may change it, I may not.

I agree...little car has a lot of forehead. I'll be opening the windshield up some, but I want to retain the instantly recognizable "hard chop" look, while still improving outward visibility if she were real. Probably take a little fiddlin' to hit the sweet spot. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy