Model Cars Magazine Forum

Steel Haul - NEW Tractor unit UPDATE!!!!

This is 50% done. I still need some weathering done to it and need to build the trailer. So you can call this work in progress. The tractor is 95% done. Still experimenting with different weathering techniques and some more detailing, like wind deflectors for the front etc.. I'm kinda jumping between projects. so the trailer is still in the planning stages. So here are the pics of the tractor so far:

tractor_143H14_zpsbaohkm6m.jpg

tractor_143H7_zpshnwobkvs.jpg

tractor_143H17_zpsefeee87a.jpg

tractor_143H4_zpsanu30ddm.jpg

tractor_143H_air_hoses_zpsvuvqv8en.jpg

tractor_143H8_zpslzyikbu3.jpg

5th_wheel2_zps2hydkmbm.jpg

tractor_143H12_zpsbwcgx0pd.jpg

tractor_143H13_zpszwnkgjcz.jpg

tractor_143H9_zpsvn5jc5af.jpg

Edited by tiking

Beautiful work! love the Long wheelbase frame...

Did the frame/kit come from the "Canvas" Scania kit?

it is actually the flatbed platform wheel base version i used. But i know the one you are referring to. It is the older kit. Although Italeri is notories for using the same kits over and over again.  ☺

That is an amazing piece of work.....I dig that blown tire.....That's something I've NEVER seen anyone do and do WELL....That looks incredibly real.....As does the rest of the weathering on the tractor.....I'm taken aback by what I see, here.....I have 2 of those flatbed Scanias and was trying to figure out what to do with them.....This is a nice idea....Although, I think I'd do a "clean" version with a different cab, this one knocks it out the park.....AWESOME!!!!!

Edited by kilrathy10

• 1 month later...

I have been working on the trailer for the Scania 142H long based chassi for some time now. So far this is where I am. I have finally added the side wind deflectors, which I painted black. I also toned down some of the weathering on the passenger side. Still have a little toning down near the windshield as well. 

The trailer was scratch built and it is 90% complete. I have to add more details and a bit more subtle weathering around the trailer. I tried to make it look somewhat out dated by design but yet have a kinda modern feel to the rest of the overall look. I decided on the mix color combo; has the trailer, had been painted unprofessionally several times during its hard course life. Secondly, I wanted it to be different and stand out. 

I am making the precast concrete slabs that will eventually be placed on the trailer when done..I am experimenting with various materials. The ones you see in the pics are made from posterboards. We will see what I end up using. The trailer has rest mounts for four precast slabs, which in turn can double up on each mount depending on thickness of the precast slab.
So I hope you like the trailer and the overall look of this tractor/trailer combo so far. 

----------------------------

-------------------------------