Model Cars Magazine Forum

George Barris-Dead at 89

George had a great life. I first got to know him through the pages of Rod & Custom and especially liked the interview with him and Big Daddy Roth. I saw him at a number of car shows over the last few years and he always seemed to be enjoying himself. He was a pioneer although at times he could also be very controversial. I hope the Drag-u-la is brought out for his funeral which will surely attract the whose who of the car hobby world.

RIP

George did so much for the custom world and many other aspects of auto styling and yet never seemed anything more than a regular guy on a personal level, I had the good fortune of meeting him first in about '63 at an auto show at the old POP ( Pacific Ocean Park) pier in Santa Monica. They had an annual car show and a model contest. I happened to be in the model contest and he came by several times to talk to myself and other contestants. He was very encouraging to everyone and was very kind and friendly. Thru the years living in southern California I would see him at different car shows. He of course didn't remember me personally but what I remember is the way that he interacted with everybody as if the were all the same as he, just another car guy that loved to customize  cars and nothing more. He will be missed.