Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Olds 442 W30 finished in the under glass section

mangodart

Hi guys,

It's the first time I decide to put some pics here to show you a wip, must I said that it's been a long time I didn't take any pics of my models "on the way". So this is a Johan kit for start, a 69 Olds from AMT gives its chassis, the engine is the one from the Johan kit as I've find it very well molded and detailed. The manual trans came from the Revell Olds 72, as the inside console. I decide also to use the rear end aluminium cover from that kit just have the very rare W27 option. My model will reproduce a very optioned one, as it has the rear spoiler ( W35 ) still from Revell, the special hood and air filter ( W25 ) from Modelhaus, sports mirror ( D35 ) and Super Stock2 wheels ( PO5 ) !!! Decals are from FredCady.

On the following pic, you can see the engine waiting for some detail on the side, I decide to work a bit on the interior, as it's quite flat and simple. So I cut the door panels, smooth them, and I cut the kit console to install the Revell one:

DSC09183_zpssyc8fttj.jpg

Then I ad front and rear armrest taken from a built Revell 72, I use some sheet styrene to reproduce the design of the door panel, not seen on tese picture, I've install the power windows switches.

DSC09184_zpscrvxojvn.jpg

Interior is painted gold also, I'll show you once finished.

To me, the grill details on a 70ies car is very important, if you look on the real car, it wasn't all chrome, there's a lot of shade of metalic grey, flat aluminium.... So I decide to work a bit on this one, first looking at the real car, the grill surrounding chrome is fixed on the hood not on the grill, so I cut them and glued on the hood :

DSC09185_zpswajtiqbk.jpg

Edited by mangodart

Then, to open the hole on the bumper, I cut some plastic on the rear 

After, with some paint, the grill started to look like the real one : flat silver on the grill, a black wash on the holes, and on the light surrounding, I also work on the headlight to have some "clear material" instead of the all chrome ones, some Tamiya amber paint on the turn signal : "et voilà" !!!!

I didn't resist for a little mockup so here it is :

The body still need to be polished, I'll do some pics of the engine bay details also. Hope it's clear for you as it's not that evident for me to explain you in English what's been done !! Let me know ;)

Good, you have to change the bumpers to replicate a 71 I think ? ;)

Correct.  Front bumpers have round signal lights and the rear bumpers have horizontal tail lights.  There's a conversion kit available that I need to locate and buy.

The grills and gravel guard are also different for the 71, but I'm not sure if that's in the conversion.

Edited by Der Bugmeister

That's a beautiful GM A body!!  The body mods and interior look fantastic,  really like how you changed the chrome strip around the hood! Can't wait to see further progress

I've been sourcing the needed parts to build a replica of my 71 cutlass supreme convertible.  

That's a beautiful GM A body!!  The body mods and interior look fantastic,  really like how you changed the chrome strip around the hood! Can't wait to see further progress

I've been sourcing the needed parts to build a replica of my 71 cutlass supreme convertible. 

I think there's a '72 CS Convertible kit, essentially the same as a '71 except the grills and tail light dividers.