Model Cars Magazine Forum

Heads up, kits at Goodwill

Just a heads up to anyone near the Northfield Village Ohio Goodwill outlet store.  I dropped off a few boxes of car kits totaling about 125 kits. Needed to clear the garage before the wife threw them out! LOL! It's ok, still have a huge stash! They range from 1930's classics to recent drag rails. Not sure when they will set them out for sale, since I donated them Saturday. Happy hunting!

Goodwill is now a for profit corp

Can you cite the sources for that? Internet B.S. based on "I know somebody whose cousin's nephew's girlfriend's father's barber's plumber's paperboy heard...." nonsense and ridiculously simpleminded chain email scams. Goodwill Industries International, Inc. has always been, and still is, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.

Why? Goodwill has its own online auction site

Everyone knows about that awful site. It's poorly designed and doesn't have as big an audience as eBay, so that's where a lot of the better stuff gets sent. It doesn't go to any of the "secondary" marketplaces if it's...

A: too heavy

B: too "beat up" looking

I've seen a couple Johan kits come through the donations area and begged management to send them to eBay only for them to put four dollars on it and send it out on the floor. 

Everyone knows about that awful site. It's poorly designed and doesn't have as big an audience as eBay, so that's where a lot of the better stuff gets sent. It doesn't go to any of the "secondary" marketplaces if it's...

A: too heavy

B: too "beat up" looking

I've seen a couple Johan kits come through the donations area and begged management to send them to eBay only for them to put four dollars on it and send it out on the floor. 

About a year and a half ago, I checked the site out and there were around 25 pages of kits being auctioned. Plenty of good ones, too. A large percentage of the rare and vintage kits were going for some serious cash. There was a Cyber Hobby DAK Tiger I that caught my eye. Unfortunately, the bidding was up to 176 bucks.