Model Cars Magazine Forum

'41 Chevy Standard Coupe...late '60s traditional street rod

traditional

This one has taken a lot of time and although I'll be tweaking lots of details for a few days to come, these are the first pics of the vehicle in relatively finished condition. 
This '41 Chevy coupe was done from a relatively crude and disproportionate 1/24 Testors kit, so there was a major amount of modification to the proportions in all respects, the most important of which were: raising and re-contouring the roof, opening up (and re-contouring) all windows, recessing the grille area, lowering and re-contouring the rocker panel, cutting open the trunk and forming a trunk-lid and its tiny hinges in aluminum, and fabricating tight swing door hinges. 
I used simple and clean '40s Chev truck bumpers, and I've added subtle '60s era custom touches throughout  the model (including a brass fuel-filler door). 
The kit engine is now replaced with a detailed 396" Chevy (wiring, plumbing, fuel line, linkage, return spring, mesh filter, etc.) and the wheels are Chevy disc-brake style, painted with Alclad and Humbrol orange. 
The hood is louvered, interior (and trunk) carpeting is in felt, upholstery is custom tuck-n-roll, and the new front seat backs fold forward for access to the rear seat. 
The complete exhaust system (including the lakes plugs) is custom made.

When I decided to make a '41 Chevy coupe, I originally gave some thought to beginning this project with a Danbury Mint '41 Chevy coupe but they're expensive, very rare, and they, too, have a slightly too low and too flat roof. Besides, I really enjoy a challenge. 
Paint is custom mixed 'pearl orange russet' and the building materials used include: styrene, clear polycarbonate, aluminum, brass, silver wire, Bondo, felt, vinyl, resin, and diecast.

PB110587-001.JPG

PB110588-001.JPG

PB110590-001.JPG

PB110594-001.JPG

PB110595-001.JPG

PB110597-001.JPG

PB110599-001.JPG

41 chevy starting b.jpg

Full size '41 Chevy 'greenhouse area

PA180430.JPG

Testors' disproportionate body shapes

Edited by traditional