Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '71 Plymouth Hemi Cuda questions

Scratch what I said. As I looked more in-depth at the motors. The part I am referring to is not the oil filter.  Not entirely sure what it is. I think its some kinds of emissions part, ERG valve or something? It is the part that is located under the alternator. I hate to admit it, I do not know much about these older cars. My expertise was always on things post 1990. Most of the cars I had were after that time. Either way it appears there is no oil filter on this model kit. 

street-hemi.thumb.jpg.6971631be788fcdf10

Has anyone on here ever scratched built the oil filter and mounting? If so, do you have pics I can look at?

Other wise I will just have to figure it out and do it myself. I know I saw that all aluminium HEMI being built on here. that is well outside of my skill set.

Edited by Helper Monkey

Scratch what I said. As I looked more in-depth at the motors. The part I am referring to is not the oil filter.  Not entirely sure what it is. I think its some kinds of emissions part, ERG valve or something? It is the part that is located under the alternator. I hate to admit it, I do not know much about these older cars. My expertise was always on things post 1990. Most of the cars I had were after that time. Either way it appears there is no oil filter on this model kit. 

street-hemi.thumb.jpg.6971631be788fcdf10

Has anyone on here ever scratched built the oil filter and mounting? If so, do you have pics I can look at?

Other wise I will just have to figure it out and do it myself. I know I saw that all aluminium HEMI being built on here. that is well outside of my skill set.

The part you have indicated is a mechanical fuel pump. Oil filter should be on the drivers side, at the front of the engine. You can see it poking out, at the bottom next to the fan blade. 

Cheers,

Lance 

Edited by Yenkocamaro

The part you have indicated is a mechanical fuel pump. Oil filter should be on the drivers side, at the front of the engine. You can see it poking out, at the bottom of the fan blade. 

Cheers,

Lance 

No I see the oil filter in the picture on the real motor. Its grey.  Its not hard to miss. 

I would have assumed a fuel pump would only be in the fuel tank. Shows what I know. 

Basically the model kit does not have a oil filter or mounting for it.

IMG_0256(2).thumb.jpg.b05d4786c45b562fa5

I do not even see a reference to them on the instructions. 

IMG_0257(2).thumb.jpg.2f2ecfb6a2fd85d067

They have missed one of the most important parts of the engine...the oil pump,  all Mopar B and RB engines has the oil pump in the outside of the block low on the drivers side and the mount for the oil filter is also the end cover of the oil pump.
The oil pump is the part shown in white on this picture.

56441bba08b1c_1302phr-07-ov-8-engineschr

Yea, it looks the Revell Hemi in that kit is missing the oil filter. I find it interesting Matt, that you did not about the fuel pump on the passenger side of the engine. You made the comment about thinking the pump would be back with the fuel tank. Until maybe the last 20 or 25 years or so, it was rare for a vehicle to not have a mechanical fuel pump similar to what you see on the old 426 Hemi. Sometimes they were mounted on the right side of the engine. Sometimes on the left. And almost always up near the front timing gear. As modern electronic fuel injection came into being, electric fuel pumps became more common.

Boy it makes me real old when somebody doesn't know something like this, that I think of as common knowledge. But, if you have not work on or with old cars much, I can see where this would be not known.

Scott, you're correct in how time flies! :P

We think of terms in of the '50's and '60's because those were the first cars we (I) saw when I knew what a car was. Fast forward a bunch of years, and times along with technology changes. My first car was a '69 Dodge Dart, and it was about as basic mechanically as you could get back in those days.

I'm at the point now that I don't even bother working on these new cars. If something's wrong with my Challenger (it was recalled recently for an alternator issue), to the dealer it goes!

The first car I purchased with my own money was a very high mileage `63 Nova with a straight six.

You could open the hood and look straight down to ground on both sides of the motor. Now engine bays are packed so tight with emissions controls and electronic boxes you cannot see the crack of dawn  let lone the ground. Lol

I stopped wrenching on them in the eighties.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I am just surprised that there is no oil filter and pump on the model. Its kinda disappointing. 

Now I assume the fuel pump has a line that run from the gas tank and then one to the carbs correct? I look at the photo I posted and I see the fuel pump with a line that goes up the motor and splits to the carbs. but then no other line leaving it. I am assuming that is because the pic is of a free standing motor and not in a car. Again, assuming that hole I can see would be where the lines goes from the pump to the tank. 

street-hemi-2.thumb.jpg.6d8c1a48069ef192